Off Grid Motor Help

evenwiz
evenwiz Registered Users Posts: 3
edited June 2018 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Hello everyone. First off I am not familiar with off grid solar other than knowing I need certain critical components. Will appreciate if someone can guide me. :smiley:

I am trying to get a 15Vdc, 1A motor working by attaching to a solar panel with a charge controller and battery. The motor will not be operating 24/7. It will only be turned on 2-3 times per hour a day and it's operation duration around 2-5minutes only. The problem I am having is knowing what should be the specifications for the three components to power this fellow.

Will appreciate if someone can help me out here! Thank you!

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the motor be needed only during the day? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • evenwiz
    edited June 2018 #3
    Yes, only use during the day. Forget to mention that the motor is to power the window blinds. The motor has an on/off switch on its own.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018 #4
    Reason I asked was it could be powered directly by a panel without needing a controller or battery, but it would be better with a battery, given the use 
    The calculation below is assuming  maximum useage.

3 times for 5 minutes per hour for 12 hours would be 180 minutes total or 3 hours 
    3 hours × 1 amp = 3 ampere-hours  (Ah)
    Battery capacity needs to be greater than maximum useage by at least 50% so 6Ah minimum 10A better 
    PV module or panel wise a 30 to 40 watt one would be in the ballpark to maintain the battery 
    A cheap 5/10 amp PWM controller would be fine for this very small system 

This would be a system where the solar does most of the work during a sunny day, providing battery backup should there be limited or no sun. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • evenwiz
    mcgivor said:
    Reason I asked was it could be powered directly by a panel without needing a controller or battery, but it would be better with a battery, given the use 
    The calculation below is assuming  maximum useage.

3 times for 5 minutes per hour for 12 hours would be 180 minutes total or 3 hours 
    3 hours × 1 amp = 3 ampere-hours  (Ah)
    Battery capacity needs to be greater than maximum useage by at least 50% so 6Ah minimum 10A better 
    PV module or panel wise a 30 to 40 watt one would be in the ballpark to maintain the battery 
    A cheap 5/10 amp PWM controller would be fine for this very small system 

This would be a system where the solar does most of the work during a sunny day, providing battery backup should there be limited or no sun. 

Thank you mcgivor! I will headstart from here and try it out. :D