Charge rate for new Agm batteries

logger
logger Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi all, 

I have just upgraded my battery bank, the old flooded Trojan t-105 (225AH) have given up the ghost after 8.5 years.  

They were wIred in a 24 volt system.

My PV array is 6 x 190W panels hooked up to an Outback FM60 MPPT Charge controller.  I had limited the max charge current to 34A. Giving a max charge rate of 15% of the C20 capacity. Slighter higher than the max. Trojan recommendation of 13%.

The new batteries are 4 generic Chinese AGM 310 AH capacity.  I couldn’t find any specific charge rates for these batteries, but from what I have seen for other similar AGM batteries,  it looks like I should be targeting a charging current of 30-40% of the C20 capacity.  After resetting the Outback back to 60 amp max. The panels are maxing out at around 28A in the middle of winter.  Only one more week and the days will be getting longer 👍

Question - do I need to invest in more panels to get the max charge current up? Or is 28 amps in the middle of winter and I’m guessing around 40-42 in summer ok?

New batteries are charging fine and I haven’t seen them drop below 25 volts in the first 8 days of operation.  

thanks Log

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    AGM need to be charged at a lower voltage than flooded with lower float and no equalization, perhaps you already know this. Panel wise, if they were meeting your needs before with the flooded batteries there's no reason why they wouldn't be sufficient with the new. Being slightly larger capacity, they will be cycled to a lower depth of discharge, there would be little need to aim for higher current if what is available presently, is sufficient, in fact it's probably better to be at a lower current over a longer time, as long as full charge is achieved, less stress.

Life expectancy will not be as good as the flooded, just be aware of that.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • logger
    logger Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks McGivor, I had already reduced the absorb and float voltages and done away with the equalisation phase.

The battery supplier offers a 5 year warranty (albeit pro rata after 2 years) as long as you have a battery monitor and can produce records showing the batteries weren’t thrashed.  I’ll be happy with 5 years, as battery technology looks like it is making some promising leaps.  My next bank will hopefully be Supercaps made from wood fibre.

Log
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    logger said:
    The new batteries are 4 generic Chinese AGM 310 AH capacity.  I couldn’t find any specific charge rates for these batteries
    logger said:
    The battery supplier offers a 5 year warranty (albeit pro rata after 2 years) as long as you have a battery monitor and can produce records showing the batteries weren’t thrashed.
    Do you really have a warranty, if they can't tell you the expected charging regime?

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.