60vdc minimum rated 1adc rated glass fuse

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I use to be able to find a Bussman FRN - R 1 amp fuse. It is not made anymore, I found searching.
I could use a PV 600vdc fuse but they are physically bigger than I want.
There is a 
https://www.amazon.com/COOPER-BUSSMANN-GMT-1A-INDICATING-ACTING/dp/B00LQP0ZOO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528048058&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Bussmann+BK/GMT-1A+Fast-Acting+Fuse;+1+Amp,+125+Volt+AC/60+Volt+DC

Anyone have a line on a typical glass/ceramic type  1 adc fuse rated for 60vdc?  Thx!
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Photowit! Weird that my search did not find it...

A friend also said to look at the Bussman type ABC which is a ceramic case in a standard fuseholded.

• mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Why glass? Common 3AB (like the 3AG glass tube fuses, but with a ceramic body) are rated to 250 VDC. But, if you really want glass - Littlefuse 224 series (2AG) are rated 125 VDC in the smaller sizes.
  • Dave Angelini
    Read the post again....

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Dave,

The FRN type fuse that you useD to be able to buy,  is a Dual-Element fuse (not glass cased),  and is designed to be used in circuits,  where a large degree of overload protection in needed.

This should be the Data Sheet for that style of fuse:
    https://cdn.allfuses.com/media/documents/Bussmann FRN-R (0.1 - 60A.pdf

The fuse that is linked in your first post,  really has nothing in common with the FRN style fuses.

It would seen,  that if some engineer specified an FRN style fuse,  with its dual elements,   substituting a fast-acting fuse could result in nuisance fuse-blowing.

All,  IMO,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Vic. I appreciate it as it is a 3 hour ride up into the mountains to change the fuse:(
    I ordered the type ABC which seems to be easy to get and meet my number one requirement of not going there and having a DC rating.
    Many people assume that 250 volt ratings are DC ratings,  which we know is not quite true

• mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Read the post again....
    What's that supposed to mean? The title only said glass, the body said glass/ceramic. I offered commonly available examples of each, which met all the specs you gave, including the 1A/60VDC rating. So much for trying to be helpful.