Using timers to disconnect certain loads at night?

Hey. Everyone,

I had a though today (Oh No!) that sounds like a good idea to me. Then it occurred to me that if it was such a good idea then how come I have never seen anyone else do it??

My though was to try and find a VERY low draw timer that would disconnect certain loads at night. The timers power consumption would have to be tiny or I could see eating up my power savings running the timer.

What got me started on this was seeing some folks who run their refrigerator from their solar/battery/inverter. They manually unplug the refrigerator in the evening and plug it back in when the panels start making power in the morning.

I like the idea but would like to automate it.

What do you all think? Anyone done this? Good idea? Bad idea?

I look forward to your replies.

S.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 #2
    Have used these programmable timers in the past, powered by an AA cell/battery they are motor rated, FWIW 
     https://www.smarthome.com/intermatic-ei400c-digital-auto-off-timer-white.html

Edit It looks like this particular timer is line powered with a lithium backup battery to keep clock running during outages, the ones I used were entirely powered by an AA
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a common line powered timer, 3 watts burned, to cycle my deep freeze off winter nights
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I regularly used a wall plug in grounded timer to turn on and off my air conditioner during the afternoon. I worked noon until 9 and often left before my battery reached float stage and I used it to turn on and off my window air conditioner. First so it would cool down the place in the afternoon once I reach roughly float and then to come on a half hour before I expected to be home, so I could come home to a cool home. Worked very well.

Depending on your needs, they also make spring loaded timers to shut things off. I think up to 2 hours.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I do it by running those items on a low voltage disconnect set rather high, like 12.7v.  That way discretionary items are automagically turned off when charging stops.

LVD --> relay --> opportunity circuit *

It was surprising to see how little power I use at night in my campervan with discretionary loads turned off that way.  

If you aren't using the LOAD output of your solar charge controller you can use the LVD on it to do this without buying any other gear.
    This timerless approach has an additional benefit of not needing adjustment as the seasons or daylight savings change;  it takes its cue from the sun.

* ok, it's actually LVD --> delay --> relay --> opportunity circuit.  In my setup Vlvr == Vfloat;  adding a delay allows the charging system to
    climb past Vfloat to Vabs in the morning before engaging the opportunity loads.

• DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Intermatic makes 2, 4, 6, and 12 hour spring loaded timers....no load while operating.  Check out the amp ratings for your application.

https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-FD6HW-6-Hour-Spring-Loaded-Auto-off/dp/B003A41UZM

23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    I have a load I WANT TO TURN OFF at first daylight. I use a relay connected directly to the solar panel.  Relays will typically close at nearly half their rated voltage and open at almost 20%.  To the relay I add a zener of about 1/3 the relays coil voltage in series.  I actually use a TL431 adjustable zener to set the exact voltage, but a zener will work well enough.  This is simple, cheap and would  also work for day loads.  Opportunity loads are best left to voltage sensing.  I use a micro and some loads don't turn on till 13.9V on the battery. The selection of pre-made boards is slim with a dropout in the 12.7 range and time delay which I consider a must. I haven't found any.
  • PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Thanks Everyone for the input.

I got a little distracted from the project but will be diving back in shortly and putting to good use the above info.

Thanks again.

S.
  • mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Note that if you want DC load control, many solar controllers (most Chinese ones, even some better ones like the Midnight Kid) do low-side control - the switching occurs in the negative rail. That presents a problem in any negative ground system like an RV because the battery and loads are all connected together with ground, so the controller's can't control loads. It makes the load control useless. Morningstar Prostars have high-side control and should be able to be set as desired - "after sunrise, on" and "after sunset, off". I'm sure there are others.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a wall plug timer for my fans on the CC and battery bank.  The whole setup draws less than .2 AC amps. 

Dont know if this would work for you and dont know what charge controller you use,  but if your CC has a low voltage opportunity output for diversion,  then you can program the CC to handle loads when the sun is out and the batteries are mostly charged to divert the remaining solar power to loads.  I set one up on AC post inverter with an SSR

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion