Help on DC amp clamp meters

DJuan222DJuan222 Posts: 22Registered Users ✭✭

Comments

• jonrjonr Posts: 949Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I think it does what the description says - both AC and DC.
  • littleharbor2littleharbor2 Posts: 877Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric, 700 ah @24 volt AGM battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• DJuan222DJuan222 Posts: 22Registered Users ✭✭
    OK now that I got the meter I feel dumb...well kinda

Cant figure out why I can get the clamp to work and the lines from the panels + and the + from MPPT to batteries ( accurate to what the mppt reads )  but I cant get it to work on the 12 v 300amp line from the batteries.  its like 0 ga unshielded cant get any V or A even on the end where connected to inverter. Yes its set to DC, the system works been the a year. get 0 reading on car battery also

what am i doing wrong on the 12v stuff ??
  • BB.BB. Posts: 27,351Super Moderators admin
    When measuring volts--You are using the +/- leads from the meter? (some meters have an AC non-contact voltage sensor--But that will read zero volts if trying to non-contact sense DC voltage).

If you are using the leads, put one lead on a battery - terminal and keep it there. Use the other + lead to probe each connection point in your system around the battery bank. See if everything "makes sense" or not.

If you have a 12 volt system... Get a (cheap) 12 volt Test Light from the auto parts store (looks like a clear screwdriver with a sharp point and a clip lead out the back).

When using DMM meters--They draw very little current (millionth's of an Amp). It is possible to read across a "bad connection" with a DMM and read "good voltage". But as soon as you put a small load on the connection, the voltage drops to zero (and why test lights are sometimes better for debugging power connections).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Posts: 4,481Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23 #6
    Okay, so I guess you bought a clamp meter?

Are you clamping only 1 wire? They work of fields so if you clamp 2 wires they neutralize each other.

...also with some of these new inexpensive meters you set the strength with the dial the select either AC or DC by pushing a button.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.
    let me be more specific

when set to DC I can read amps off the panels and + wire off MPPT to the batteries

when i try to read the 12v 300A single unshielded cable from the battery bank to the inverter I get 0

the setup has worked a year and the single red wire off the car battery reads 0 also on amps

it seems to be a problem when i try to read from batteries??
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Posts: 4,481Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Is the inverter on with a load? Perhaps an inexpensive clamp meter wouldn't pick up a minimal draw in sleep mode? @BB. Bill will likely know... Also is the car on, pop on the headlights should work as a load.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.
    I am unclear if the Inverter is working or not (no voltage on the DC input to the inverter?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonrjonr Posts: 949Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    You have the DC amps range set to 600A?   Test it when you know you have a few amps of load.  

Don't attempt to measure volts using the clamp.
    Yes!! I had to let the refridgerator come on then it read a load and It finally gave me 6 amps :)

question though, to test batteries amps at rest how do you check 100amps?  all of my DMM max at 10amps?
    What do you mean by "test batteries amps at rest how do you check 100amps"....

Batteries at rest have no current flow--So no Amps to measure.

Are you asking how to test a battery to see if a 100 AH rated battery actually 100 AH capacity? Are you trying to figure out if a battery is XX% state of charge?

-Bill