Grundfos level switch

Options
zozomike
zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
So....12  years ago I put in my Grundfos sqflex11 from our host.( good life on our water so hard we should lay bricks with it)  At the time I bought the level switch, this one, and never installed. Now changing my system, and pulled it off the shelf as I will want a level switch with the new setup. And Darn, cannot figure out the depth to set the thing. Have used an Ohm meter, does not seem to switch till near vertical. Anyone used this as a tank fill and how deep in the tank did you put the switch? 
Grundfos Low-Level Float Switch for CU-200

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks a lot like the float switch in my tank.  My switch has a big off-center weight in it, as you tilt it (as if it was floating on surface, or dangling straight down), you can feel and hear a big "clunk" as the element switches.

My switch is quite near the top of the tank
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    You put a clamp to the wire about 1 foot from the float.... As the water level rises, the float rises (with cord end down) and "turns off".

As water level falls, the float sinks (with cord end up). And switch turns on.

You may have to have the pivot point below the water level (to get enough motion on the switch to reliable turn on/off).
    httpwwwthepumpwarehousecomimagesproductsSJEPumpmaster_1000PXjpg
    Make sure that the area where you mount the float does not have a wall, piping, or other stuff that can interfere with the switch--Or the pump will not cycle correctly (as my sump pump failed to turn on and my furnace flooded because the sump was too small for pump+float switch to operate freely)).

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zozomike
    zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys, I guess I will just try it like Bill suggested. 

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw