installing a solar system for a 2400btu airco

robocop7
robocop7 Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everybody I am new her wishing you all beswt for the Holidays

I live in the Caribbean

I have bought a 24000btu Inverter daikin airco .

Plan is to install solar panels to power it and in th future als with batteries.

So do I need an inverter as the airco is a Inverter airco?

So my to the end I will have a system that will go with solar panel-Batteries or Household current or a combination of these when needed.

Think I have explained enough.

Think I have explained

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Assuming this is your A/C unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Daikin-Efficient-Inverter-Conditioner/dp/B00UCCOS9K

The power needed to run it would be:

Technical Specifications

Model Number: FTX24NMVJU (INDOOR) RX24NMVJU(OUTDOOR)
    Style: Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner
    Compressor: DAIKIN (Made In Japan)
    Cooling Capacity: 24,000 BTU
    Power Supply: 230 V / 60 Hz
    EER: 8.6
    SEER: 19
    Piping Connections: Liquid 1/4 – Gas 5/8 - Drain – 5/8
    Max Piping Length / Height : 98 ft / 65 ft

Yes, you will need an AC inverter to convert Solar DC power (plus battery bank) to 230 VAC at 60 Hz.

The inverter inside the AC unit is something also known as a Variable Frequency Drive... Basically takes AC power, makes high voltage DC, and then converts that (typically) into 3 phase, variable frequency power. That both makes the A/C unit "soft start" (very nice for off grid power systems), it also uses the variable 3 phase frequency to run a more efficient pump motor and run it at different speeds (run it just fast enough for the load at any point in time).

However, A/C units, even nice efficient mini-splits, still use a lot of energy (relatively). Do you have AC power that you can power the A/C unit and measure the average Watt*Hours (kWH) per day you would use? Also, measure the starting and average power draw (in Watts).

Are you doing this to save money/be green? Or is this an installation that does not have AC power (or you may have "afternoon blackouts")?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Have you used this unit in your home/place? How many solar panels did you connect (says 5 maximum on one of their websites)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Note that typical inverter AC compressor units immediately rectify the AC to DC.  So you might be able (I wouldn't risk it) to apply something like 325V  +/-6% DC to it.      It's highly unlikely that you will find solar panels that fit this requirement.

Mixing solar and utility power is a lot easier if "net metering" is available.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Smart Phone Bill? ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    I deleted (banned) a poster that was pushing an AC system website...  Left fragments of conversation behind in this other thread.

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate in when there are fragments ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net