Charge controller settings

Options
screw
screw Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a 4000w 24v system. I was using 8 x 6 volt 370amh Deka batteries but 4 went dead and I took them off the system. How should I now set my outback flex max 60 charge controller? Someone had set it about 6 weeks ago but it is shutting down at nights still with just my lights running. He set the absorb time for 3.8 hrs and float a for 3.5 but it sometimes don't absorb and it floats sometimes for over 5 hours. The average kw energy it makes now is 1.4 when it used to make about 6kw on average daily. I use 6 panels (mono black) with output of 260 w.
It starts absorbing early in the morning even before the sun is really out so by the time the sun really gets hot, it starts floating.
Is the absorb time set right? Why does the system comes back on in the morning even before the sun really comes out? Sun rises about 6 am and by about 6:20 the lights come back on.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018 #2
    Options
    It may be that you need to plan for replacement of the bank, but there are a couple of things worth checking first.

The way the charge cycle should work, is the controller wakes up with the sun, and goes into bulk mode. It will use whatever power is available to charge until voltage reaches the absorb voltage setting (generally around 80-85% SOC). This may take something like 1 hour for each 10% of capacity below ~80% in full sun (so a bank at 50%SOC might take ~3hrs). When it hits set absorb voltage, the absorb timer starts, and the voltage is held at the setpoint until the time expires. The controller then lets the voltage fall to the float setpoint, and holds it there. Generally, a timer on float isn't needed with solar, as it's fine to stay in float until the sun sets.

From your description, a couple of possibilities come to mind. It's possible the absorb and maybe float voltages were set too low, so the absorb voltage is hit early. Assuming the batteries are flooded, absorb voltage should be ~29v (temp compensated).

The other possibility is the bank is failing. One symptom of a failing bank is it will appear to charge fast, but will also discharge fast (effective capacity has dropped to unusable).

As a first step, I'd suggest checking the controller absorb voltage setting, and also checking the actual voltage at the charge controller battery output terminals, and at the battery side connections with a multimeter when the controller is in absorb.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter