Solar PV system DC fuse keeps blowing

Hi!

I have a 6.5Kw system installed with a SMA Sunnyboy inverter. Works great normally. One DC fuse blew 2 years ago and I replaced. However, it blew again repeatedly every 6 months. There are four DC fuses and this particular one keeps blowing. Any idea why this is happening?

I am not a Pro.

Comments

• PhotowhitPhotowhit Posts: 4,529Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm guessing these are fuses for the incoming solar panels, perhaps someone with a dc clamp meter could check to see if the current coming in from each string is even...

Perhaps they wired your panels incorrectly. Do you have panels in a multiple of 4? maybe 28 panels which would be strings of 7 panels...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Posts: 4,529Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Alternately, you might shut everything down and read the voltage coming in on each fused string one at a time. Or at least do the one that keeps blowing and another to get a comparison. The fuses are rated for amps, which shouldn't change regardless of how many panels are in a string. but they could be past the max voltage with additional panels.

What mightbe happening is a bad connection internally, if the string is plugged into the inverter near the fuse and the connection is a bit loose or other connections are loose, the added heat will run along the line and may trip burn the fuse.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.
  • BB.BB. Posts: 27,432Super Moderators admin
    What size or amp rating of fuse?

Around 1 amp is s ground fault detection fuse.

Most arrays, if you have any fuses, are around 15 amps or so.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset