Bogart for Lithium

Options
I own a Bogart SC-2030 RV controller with a new model TriMetric. I want to install a 200A Lithium Ion system sourced by shore-powered charger, vehicle powered combiner, and solar. Can I use the Bogart equipment for the solar part of my lithium system?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Bogart is a pretty simple PWM charge controller, I don't believe you will be able to set the correct values for Lithium batteries.
    https://www.altestore.com/static/datafiles/Others/SC2030_UserManual.pdf
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • grizzzman
    grizzzman Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Options
    I own a Bogart SC-2030 RV controller with a new model TriMetric. I want to install a 200A Lithium Ion system sourced by shore-powered charger, vehicle powered combiner, and solar. Can I use the Bogart equipment for the solar part of my lithium system?

"For the TM-2030 battery monitor the answer is “yes,” and for the SC-2030 is "probably yes." This technology is new, and we haven't had much real experience with it yet, so we could be revising this information as we learn more.

The TM-2030 measures the same important values that apply to virtually any chargeable battery type: battery amps, volts, and %full, so is applicable to lithium batteries.

The SC-2030 Solar charger is usually used with lead acid batteries. However lithium batteries need special care to insure that they are not damaged. The cells which make up a typical lithium battery must never be either over or under charged. Unlike lead acid cells, over or under charging will quickly damage them.

For this reason lithium batteries are usually sold with an internal "Battery Management System" (BMS) that will insure that cells are not over or undercharged. This enables any charger that was designed to charge lead acid batteries, such as the SC2030 to be used to safely charge them. Without the BMS that normally is sold with lithium batteries, they would not be charged correctly by the SC-2030.

The seller of the batteries and BMS will specify the requirements for the charger, such as the SC-2030. It is important to get this information and set the charging for the SC-2030 according to the manufacturer of the battery and BMS system that accompanies it.

For example, AM Solar in Oregon (listed in our "where to buy" section on website) markets a lithium battery option with a BMS for which we have the following recommendations for the SC-2030 Solar Charger:

This is an EXAMPLE that applies only to AM Solar lithium batteries. With different batteries be sure to consult your battery company for proper settings.

These "P.." refer to program values which you can adjust in the TM-2030:
    Set "Absorb" voltage (P1) = 14.2 volts. Set "Absorb current before float (P2) = 1.5%. (means 1.5% of P3 value in amps)
    Set “Capacity” (P3) = the amp hour capacity of the battery set.
    Set "Max Absorb time" (P14) = 0.3 hours.
    Set (P15) = 14.2 volts (not used in this charging mode)
    Set "float voltage" (P16) = 13.5 volts.
    Set max % overcharge percentage (P20) = 2 % -which will also cause the charger to go into “float” when the charging voltage achieves “P1” value and charging amps is less than “P2” percent of "P3" capacity.
    Set P21 = OFF (no finish overvoltage )

AM Solar also recommends that temperature compensation which is recommended for lead acid batteries NOT be used for lithium. This means that you do not have to buy the optional temperature sensor and you should not connect it to the SC-2030 charger."

This is what Ralph says ( The owner of Bogart engineering )  

That said i plan on going with LFP and did my homework, it will work.

Good luck with your project

Boondocking is my game
    640 Watts Mono Bogart TM2030 and SC2030  Controller GC 6V 208 AH  Costco batteries  300 Watt Inverter and 2000 watt inverter 100AH LIFEPO4 2P4S