1470w Poly or 1100w Mono Panels

gjlsan
gjlsan Registered Users Posts: 4
Is there a real difference between 6 x 245w Poly Hanwha ($899.95) and 4 x 275w Mono Recom Panther ($908.32)?
Charging Time, Power production, etc.

Hanwha 245w Poly - 14.8% eff, Vmp 30.3V, Imp 8.08A, -0.45%/°C Pmax Temp
Recom Panther 275w Mono - 16.6% eff, Vmp 32.12V, Imp 8.45A, -0.39%/°C Pmax Temp

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Poly panels are slightly larger than same rated mono panels (watts per square foot/meter).

Poly panels tend to be cheaper $/Watt than mono panels.

Personally, if either panel meets your needs, go with the cheaper panels (assuming similar quality and support).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, not much difference in most applications. Maybe in space constained locations (higher efficiency may mean being able to get more watts in available space), or extreme climates where the temp coefficient might be a factor.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    By the way, can you tell us more about your system?

Where will the system be installed, what voltage and amp hour battery Bank, what type of solar charge controller? Etc.

What are the loads you want to run, etc.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gjlsan
    gjlsan Registered Users Posts: 4
    > @BB. said:
    > By the way, can you tell us more about your system?
    >
    > Where will the system be installed, what voltage and amp hour battery Bank, what type of solar charge controller? Etc.
    >
    > What are the loads you want to run, etc.

Hi,

I'm in PR and still without power since hurracaine strike. I'm looking for a substitute for my 2k generator.
    I'm looking for a 24v system, 2k-4k inverter, 3.92kwh bank (4x6v/245ah) with a 60a mppt controller to run house lighting, tv, fan and small refrigerator (and all the small gadgets chargers).
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I think those are 60cell panels, which might not reliably able to hold Vabs on a 24v system unless at least some are in series.

Another thing to think about is mono's higher Vmp disadvantages PWM further.  I assume OP wouldn't be using PWM but if s/he did the poly would generate more power than mono at Vbatt.
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 #7
    gjlsan said:
    > @BB. said:
    > By the way, can you tell us more about your system?
    >
    > Where will the system be installed, what voltage and amp hour battery Bank, what type of solar charge controller? Etc.
    >
    > What are the loads you want to run, etc.

Hi,

I'm in PR and still without power since hurracaine strike. I'm looking for a substitute for my 2k generator.
    I'm looking for a 24v system, 2k-4k inverter, 3.92kwh bank (4x6v/245ah) with a 60a mppt controller to run house lighting, tv, fan and small refrigerator (and all the small gadgets chargers).
    You will want to reconsider buying a 2-4,000 watt inverter. A 1,000 watt inverter will easily run everything you mentioned, and will use use less than half the battery power per day than a 4,000 watt will use. It is what we call "tare loss".  A 4,000 watt inverter will use close to as much battery power per day merely being switched on with zero things plugged into it as the things you're considering powering will use in that same 24 hour period. Buy a good quality 1,000 watt inverter, and use that battery power to keep your food cold and your fans running, instead of wasting it as heat, powering an inverter that is WAY, WAY too large for your battery bank.

Concerning the solar panels, always pick mono over poly, except when it costs you power to do so. If you can buy 1,500 watts of mono panels for close to the same price as 1,500 watts of poly panels, get the mono. Since you will be able to buy 50% more panels with roughly the same money, and get 33% more power from them, the poly panels are the only way that makes sense.

edit: This is the inverter you should buy. Yes, it costs twice per watt what the junk on Amazon costs, but it will last for many, many thousands of hours, and won't drain your batteries in an hour, like the 2-4,000 watt Amazon specials will:
    https://www.solar-electric.com/sa1wa24vosiw.html
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)