Conxt SW Inverter does not like Sunnyboy.

Options
I am new to the forum and have a some what weird problem. I have a Sunnyboy US 6kw Inverter working and was planning on adding a Conext SW Inverter to make an AC coupled Battery system. When I connect the Conext SW inverter to the AC line a relay inside the unit starts chattering. Nothing will make it stop until I turn off the Sunnyboy then the SW inverter stops chattering. While chattering it does not give any fault codes or other indication that there is a problem, just a chattering relay.

Has anyone seen this type of problem?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Just to be clear, there are two (or more) "AC Power" connections for these types of AC inverters... Which connection where you using (AC input, Generator input, Protected AC out, etc.)?

A link to the unit/manual would help (I have given up on trying to keep track of Xantrex/Schneider product naming and possible duplicate model names over the years).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • MisterSandals
    MisterSandals Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options
    pcrover said:
    When I connect the Conext SW inverter to the AC line a relay inside the unit starts chattering. Nothing will make it stop until I turn off the Sunnyboy then the SW inverter stops chattering. While chattering it does not give any fault codes or other indication that there is a problem, just a chattering relay.

Has anyone seen this type of problem?
    Yes, this is what happens when the AC coupled power has nowhere to go (my situation when i experienced it) and possibly other states.  And, because there are many bugs in the AC Coupling firmware, the SW does not always attempt to frequency shift or perform a RSD.  The latter happens when the modbus address "1039=AC Coupling" setting is switched off or ignored (i am working with Schneider trying to get this fixed!).

Your Sunnyboy should be feeding the SW "AC Out" connections.
    The AC Coupled Smart Charge feature is supposed to direct the power to first charge the batteries and when fully charged, pass the power thru to the grid.
    If the batteries are charged and the SW is not connected to a grid (or grid down), the the SW is supposed to frequency shift so the Sunnyboy slows or stops AC production.  Failing that, the RSD is supposed to stop AC production.

But the numerous bugs in the current firmware don't handle all these scenarios and can cause catastrophic failure (Schneider won't elaborate what eventually happens, i suspect that means house fire).

The Conext SW line clearly fails the UL 1741 and UL 1741SB certification requirements.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23 #4
    Options
    That is pretty harsh to say it causes a house fire!  It would only do that if wiring and overcurrent protection were not done. There are 10's of thousands of CSW's out there world wide.

The OP should read very carefully the configuration settings and follow the installation and user manuals. Also the AC coupling guide.

Bill the manual is in the link below. Kind of nice to support a North American company that has built product and jobs here since the 1990's. May be hard to remember the SW and CSW models but so many of them just seem to work forever. 

https://solar.se.com/us/en/product/sw_inverter_120_240/#downloads

If this is new equipment you should ask the installer or call Schneider on Monday.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited March 24 #5
    Options
    Dave, no problem. Links that supply useful information to the discussions are always welcomed.

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome as always!  Cheers! 

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net