Does humor belong on a forum?

mcgivor
mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Is humor, which is non political, sexisist, raciest, religious, ethnicity biast, or in any way offense belong on a forum?  Personally I believe there should be some latitude of acceptance, life can't be all serious, we all need a chuckle once in a while. Obviously there are boundaries which should never be crossed, but if it's harmless why not? Understandably some humor may not be appreciated by an international audience, I respect that, but should harmless humor be subject to censorship? I ask that question, your responses to an open question.

[fix typo in tittle, no censorship here--Bill B. :) ]
1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I generally "censor" for ~three major reasons... One is because I allow the originator of a thread to "own" the direction of the thread. If the poster does not want off topic, I will remove posts (or move to a new thread) those posts.

Second is because of "crass" humor or stuff that does not reflect well to an international audience or our host and their business (racial, "cheap Chinese junk", 10 foot pole jokes, guns, etc.).

The third is spammers.

Most of my work here is around #3 (spammers)--I find that 99.999% of the folks here are very well behaved and helpful. Lately there has been a (very little) bit of #1 and #2.

Unless I have sent you a private message to "cool it" (which I have not done for almost a year)--None of the recent stuff has been a big issue with me. Just a little editorial "maintenance".

I, personally, tend to be on the conservative (politically) side--But I do not (are at least try not) to edit for my political sensitivities. There is enough stuff on both/all sides that can be fodder for humor.

I tend to avoid "aggressive" humor on the Internet because it is so easy to offend/take the wrong way.

Mcgivor, or anyone else, if you want to open a humorous thread, or inject some humor into their own threads--Please be my guest. I do enjoy reading it. The hands around the flat earth t-shirt was very funny (to me)--Just did not help move that particular thread forward for that original poster.

If somebody feels their thread is getting side tracked, or if things are getting a bit out of hand, I will help clean it up.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet mcivgor is wondering if there are gremlins in the spell checker?   Why? Cause someone stole the second u in humour..... ;)
    Anyway, if you can't laugh at yourself you are doomed.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And for some the laughter is a great thing as they just don't get much.

I think you can be very healthy upstairs and even downstairs and still be doomed >:)

I always wanted to start a thread about "Offgrid Movies"
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bet mcivgor is wondering if there are gremlins in the spell checker?   Why? Cause someone stole the second u in humour..... ;)
    Anyway, if you can't laugh at yourself you are doomed.

Humour or humor, colour or color, British or American spelling, both correct, here's a comprehensive list. Usually I end up spell checking the auto mistake feature which attempts to correct what it is I'm attempting to write.
    http://www.tysto.com/uk-us-spelling-list.html
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    We had a discussion awhile back over whether to allow off topic posting. The answer eventually came back with the answer yes. It was I who pushed for the acceptance of off topic posting. I also seem to be one of very few who take advantage of the capability.

There are plenty of subjects that frequently overlap with off grid living. For some strange reason, I can't seem to find forums that aren't dominated by either Marxist identifying Thought Control freaks or alt-right assault gun fanatics. People on both sides call me derogatory names. People towards the middle usually don't want to moderate it may seem. 

A large percentage of our regular posters are working solar professionals with an entirely different perspective than the typical do-it-yourselfer. 

Humor? People pay a lot for good entertainment. They say that laughing is also good for you. 

I don't see how we can keep do-it yourselfers active for years unless we freely discuss other subjects. I believe that do-it-yourselfers offer valuable perspectives to other would be do-it-yourselfers. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries