Morningstar MPPT 60 Amp. Charge Controllsr

Gator
Gator Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭
I have this one and am wondering if it can handle LiFePo batteries and the issues that go with them?

Comments

• Gator
    I also have 2 Panasonic H.I.T. 330 watt panels, and thinking of adding a 3rd one, for 990 watt total?
  • Gator
    My system is setup with an 2000 watt "Samalex" 24 Volt Inverter running off 4 USP 12 VOLT BATTERIES (80 AMP.) wired series/paralell, at present....
    Pretty "Goofy" eh ?
  • Gator
    I think firstly, I probably need to get a good 12 Volt (2000 watt) Inverter, and run batteries just paralell so my Amps would be about 320, instead of about 160 amps as now?
  • Gator
    "SOMEBODY....HELP ME PLEASE" ?
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 #6
    You should get yourself a good 48 volt inverter and run your batteries in series. Batteries shouldn't be ran in parallel. Regardless how you wire your batteries you still have the same WATT hours. Difference is you are inverting the voltage at a much lower current, requiring much smaller cabling and current protection. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another benefit to running at 48 volts is you can quadruple the size of your array @48 volts vs. 12 volts.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Gator
    1 Big Forgot 2 say....This System is in my "Stealth Camper" Cargo Trailer.....Sorry Guys
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gator said:
    I think firstly, I probably need to get a good 12 Volt (2000 watt) Inverter, and run batteries just paralell so my Amps would be about 320, instead of about 160 amps as now?
    Running batteries is better in series. I was going to say in general, but I can't think of any time it's not better for battery usage and charging. Running in parallel requires more connections, often you would want extra breakers. In addition it's pretty much impossible to get each string of batteries to share the load and the charging equally.

In addition, charge controllers are rated by the amperage they regulate, so a Morning star that can handle @1000 watt array at 12 volts, can handle about a 2000 watt array at 24 volts.

BTW - The morning star is a good choice for a camper, it has a fanless design so it'll be quiet.

Your statement above appears to show a lack of understanding about how these systems work. In parallel, batteries amperage is added and the voltage remains the same, for the same number of batteries in either layout, the watt hours of storage, remain the same.

Watts=amps x volts, If you run an 120 watt load on a 12 volt system, it draws the same wattage as in a 24 volt system. 

In a 12 volt system it draws 10 amps at 12 volts in a 24 volt system it draws 5 amps at 24 volts.

I believe the Morningstar can handle lithium battery parameters, but I'm not sure. Are your batteries failing?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gator said:
    I have this one and am wondering if it can handle LiFePo batteries and the issues that go with them?
    You can set high voltage disconnect, max charge amps, and how much Temperature Compensation Voltage the batteries see.
      (settings done with serial cable and software called MSView from Morningstar )
    What it can't do, is stop charging upon command from the BMS,
    it can't stop charging when battery is below +3 degrees C
      That would have to be done with a SSR on the PV cable, commanded by the battery bank BMS
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,