Yes, another beginner with obvious questions... confusing battery and trying to figure out setup

Tempogen
Tempogen Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello all, 

I've been struggling with this for months and i'm hoping I can finally solve it with your help. 
Basically I have about 30 Shoto GFM-2000 batteries, and I also have a power problem, and I do think I can put them to good use. 
I've been trying to use this site : 
http://www.freesunpower.com/battery_designer.php

To kind of find the right setup to use some of these batteries as backup power for a large fridge I have. 
I know that the voltage of the battery is 2v, and the amperage is 2000, but other than that i'm stumped and can't figure anything out. 
i'm sure you guessed by now that i know nothing about power or electrical engineering. Unfortunately in my location I couldn't get any professional to check it out for me either. 

So I turn to you for advice on what little info I gave. How to at least translate the specs of this battery : 
http://www.rectifier.co.za/Batteries/Shoto/psdf/GFM-2000.pdf

To use with the above site, or if you have any advice at all to use these with an inverter to be charged using my 220 v AC so that they'd be the backup power during power cuts. 

Thanks 

T

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provided these batteries are not worn out, you can series wire 24 of these into a very good size 48 volt bank. The other 6 could be wired up for a 12 volt bank and worked or kept on float till you find out if all 24 other batteries are healthy. If you decide to go the solar route be prepared to spend a good amount of money for the panels and charging components and inverter necessary to charge this large capacity battery. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wiring of the batteries will be determined by the DC input voltage of the inverter (typically 12, 24, or 48v). Inverters large enough to start and run compressor motors in fridges tend to be 24v or larger.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The batteries appear to be designed for standby use, according to the attached pdf.which would be useful in a backup situation. Being that 220 Vac is the nominal, I would highly recommended using a 48V battery arrangement or 24 in series with an appropriate inverter, this would keep conductor/circuit breakers and so forth sizes to a minimum. What is the charging source, an important piece of the puzzle.?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do have voltage specs for cyclic use in the spec sheet.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like batteries for the correct use, stand by UPS. Setup in a 24 volt configuration, I would recommend using tinned copper bar inter connects. Figure out the maximum load you will have and purchase an inverter charger for the load. you may find that due to the expenses of such a large inverter-charger you choose to only power a limited amount of your usual loads. Purchase and install the inverter-charger and wire accordingly. If it will cover all your loads you could choose to have all the incoming current pass through it. If not you  would want to either install it for a single circuit. Or have it installed with a transfer switch so you can manually shut down loads before you turn it on.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Ski66
    Ski66 Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Something to consider is the BOS, as that is quite a large battery bank. I agree more information on the charging source would be helpful to decide to go with a 24 or 48 volt system, as the cost on the CC, and inverter will vary depending on what battery bank you decide to go with, also consider the line run to your charging source, and the line loss will also vary by what voltage you go with, However I found that www.sunextender.com has great diagrams for all battery banks, you may want to check it out, at the bottom of thier site you can download and view all the options for your battery bank. Hope this info is helpful.