Panasonic (from Motley Fool)

Panasonic's solar panel play in North America

The product announcement says Panasonic will pair its N Series HIT Modules N325 and N330 with Enphase's 320 watt IQ 7X micro-inverter. The N330 module carries an efficiency of 19.7%, above the efficiency of commodity-type solar panels, while Ephase's micro-inverter has a CEC efficiency of 97.5%.

The partnership is clearly aimed at taking some of the market share SunPower(NASDAQ:SPWR) has gained with its X-Series AC modules, which carry an efficiency of 22.2% and a CEC efficiency of 96%. Panasonic is also catching up to AC products LG, JinkoSolar(NYSE:JKS), and SolarWorld have made with Enphase. 

Where is Tesla?

What was missing from the announcement is arguably more important than what was in it. Panasonic is producing solar cells and modules in Tesla's (NASDAQ:TSLA) Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York, potentially the largest solar manufacturing facility in the U.S. -- but the facility wasn't mentioned in the announcement. It's worth noting that it's a facility that will be tariff-free, given the Trump Administration's tariffs on solar imports. The absence of any commentare about the facility is notable.

This isn't to say that Tesla and Panasonic won't be producing AC modules in Buffalo, but I would think they would want to play up the deal if that's what was happening. Maybe they're still pursuing a strategy of staying tight-lipped about what's going on at Gigafactory 2? 

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    SunPower panels are 11% more efficient? Seems like a lot from here.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    justjoy said:
    Would you mind telling me the difference between the two? 

Here is a review that mentions both. Panasonic wins in this particular review. 

https://www.hesolarllc.com/panasonic-vs-sunpower-vs-lg/

Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The  Panasonic are half the price because a dealer has to pay $10,000 for the privilege of selling you a Sunpower solar panel.
    Until the last few years, only Sunpower had a 25 year product warranty along with the usual power warranty that many people find out is not as important as a product warranty. 

The product warranty also is an indicator of the quality, engineering, and confidence that the panel can thermal cycle, take hail, and the elements for a very long time.

It is a beautiful thing!  ;)

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... a beautiful thing (if, and to the extent the warrator is still around and the warranty can be enforced).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    BP paid off! I would think Panasonic will be "around"  :)

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope so.

Personally, I'd love to see more emphasis on quality as a competitive advantage (in which warranties would be a big part). Maybe then we could buy less cheap, disposable crap.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Then you have to stop buying the low quality equipment. I am not personalizing here BTW .
    Look into how a Sunpower panel is made. It really is amazing the amount of redundancy in the connections, the copper backplate, the mono cell itself, the drainage, the frame, the amazing output in high temperature. I have been running both the Sunpower and Panasonic's here and they are what I specify for a reason. I am just glad I do not have to pay a king's ransom for Sunpower anymore  ;)

They are a beautiful thing!