6048 slave not turning on

Artboard
Artboard Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭
Schneider 6048 slave will not switch on after maintenance off. Switched system off to replace 2 batteries. Master comes on, slave will not turn on at all. I used to be able to change the sequence of turning the DC breakers back on to get the slave to switch back on, but no joy on any combination now. Running off just one 6048 causes long generator run times to recharge, cannot equalize at all.  Help?
Artboard in LaVeta, Colorado
1200 Ahr, 24 S-500 Rolls in 3 banks of 48V, two Xantrex/Schneider 6048 master/slave, three Apollo T80 CCs, Kohler gen, 

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the Xantrex distribution panel? Did you disconnect DC for at least three minutes from the XW before you connected DC? 

One of the problems with generators is they can glitch an XW and with old firmware the unit can be "bricked"
    Bricked is dead to the world without the config tool or a combox. Depending on your skill you can fix this without sending the unit for a ride.

The other thing is that the XW is fried. Any funny smell from the power bridge on the right side?

Are you the installer or is there anyone you can call near La Veta?

Other bad news, Apollo is long gone out of business.  Why can't you EQ with the good unit by disconnecting strings?

Good Luck!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Artboard
    DC has been disconnected from slave 6048 for hours. Still does not turn on. I have Xantrex SCP (system control panel). No funny smells from unit. T80s still work, so no need to replace. Yes, I have become installer by default and OJT. Replaced 29 of 32 batteries since system online in Jan ‘09. Always had trouble restarting slave 6048 unit, but this time is longest offline. How do I get a config or combox?
    1200 Ahr, 24 S-500 Rolls in 3 banks of 48V, two Xantrex/Schneider 6048 master/slave, three Apollo T80 CCs, Kohler gen, 
  • Dave Angelini
    Could be firmware. Are you computer savvy or have you ever done firmware? It is not for everyone!
    I would call Schneider tomorrow and see what they will do. Get the firmware  version of the working XW from your SCP. Assume the bad one is the same date? One of the reasons I asked if you had the XW distribution panel was to get an idea of the quality of the installation?

The store here sells the gear.

I sell to my clients only but check what Schneider says.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly question perhaps, but have you confirmed dc voltage at the dc input terminals of the slave with a meter?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    I don't think it is silly!  That is why I asked him (never heard an answer) if he had the Xantrex pwr distribution panel. He said he had trouble before restarting the slave, which did not sound good either. 

Anyone reading this should be advised that the older gear can be bricked from grid and generator glitches. This has been made much easier now if you have the latest firmware in your COMBOX. Even if you are not computer savvy Schneider can walk you through it if your gear has warranty. If you are one of their install people they will help you forever on any of their XW systems.

The older XW's that do not have the grid or a generator just keep running like the eveready bunny :)  Lightning strike exception though..

• Artboard
    No, I do not have a Xantrex power distribution panel. The original installer just wired in the new 6048, which was shipped a Schneider, not Xantrex, after Schneider bought Xantrex. Installation is 2 hrs by car from here. No, I did not record the Xantrex firmware version before I left the location earlier this week. I will look again this weekend.

Yes, I am very computer savvy, and updated firmware on a number of computer devices already this morning.

My first installation was in 2009 with the Xantrex 6048 #1. Installer aded the second now Schneider 6048 in 2011, after the demand on the system, then 32 Rolls S-500s (or equivalent p/n back then) exceeded its ability to supply power. Over time, and via this forum, I discovered that the entire system was undersized, i.e. not enough panels to charge 32 Rolls 6V batteries. I reduced the array size to 24 batteries, as the batteries began to die. 
    I don't think it is silly!  That is why I asked him (never heard an answer) if he had the Xantrex pwr distribution panel. He said he had trouble before restarting the slave, which did not sound good either. 

Anyone reading this should be advised that the older gear can be bricked from grid and generator glitches. This has been made much easier now if you have the latest firmware in your COMBOX. Even if you are not computer savvy Schneider can walk you through it if your gear has warranty. If you are one of their install people they will help you forever on any of their XW systems.

The older XW's that do not have the grid or a generator just keep running like the eveready bunny :)  Lightning strike exception though..

• Artboard
    Just arrived back at my place, first time since January 2. Firmware on operational Xantrex 6048 is 1.03.00 BN12. It is a model 865-1000, S/N 000011E019C6. Since the Schneider 6048 seems to be "bricked" as you call it, I cannot get it's firmware version.

I also have the Xantrex Auto Generator Start, Model 865-1060, s/n 00001346EDE4, F/W rev 2.05.00 BN 1.

My Xantrex System Control Panel is Model 865-1050, S/N 0000110C47AF., F/W rev 1.02.00 BN6.

I see nothing anywhere in my installation labeled "Xantrex Power Distribution Panel."

My Kohler generator had plenty of glitches, especially in the area of "not qualifying power." Local Kohler dealer dropped Kohler line due to problems with digital controllers. Generator would kick on, run for hours overnight, but never qualify power. Generator would only shut off once solar panels began to charge batteries again once sun came up. Found an Amish guy who diagnosed the digital controller problem correctly, sourced one via E-bay, installed myself. Generator has worked very well since then.

I tried many different combinations of restart sequences today, no joy. Schneider slave 6048 seems to be "bricked." How do I "unbrick" it?

• Artboard
    BTW, no cellular service here, so calling Schneider is challenging. I do my best with AT&T WiFi calling. Wil try them tomorrow, Presidents Day. Hopefully they are open.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018 #10
    Have  you flipped units to see if the slave will work as the master? Or powered up in a stand alone mode?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Artboard
    How do I do that? I can't get the slave to do anything.
  • Artboard
    I looked up the Xantrex Power Distribution Panel. Definitely do not have another box that big in my installation. Just have the two 6048s side, with what appear to be simple CAT-5 ethernet-style cross-connections.

Will open up the front of the bricked unit and check DC voltage in the morning.
  • Artboard
    Two 6048s are side by side, with what appears to be a simple ethernet switch box in between them.
  • Artboard
    Tried many times to power up the bricked unit as a stand alone unit. No joy. In the past, that is how I succeeded booting it up: I turned all solar breaker panels on first, which turned on the Apollo charge controllers. then switched the DC breaker on within the slave 6048. That sequence is what formerly worked. Only after I'd see the slave boot up would I boot the master.

Sytem control panel is set to Cascade units. I have turned Cascade off and on, makes no difference in performance.
  • Dave Angelini
    Last thing you can do is disconnect everything from the dead XW. Makes sure power is removed for a minute. NO DC on XW battery cable terminals. 

This will probably tell you it is in need of service. If you had a combox you might be able to see what is going on. But, you might not also!

The Distribution panel was a way that I can tell the level of thought that went into the install. Most pros would use one because it is easier and far better down the line for service. No insults here just what I think.

You are out of warranty so Schneider would recommend a service group near you. 

The last thing you can do is remove the XW covers and look carefully at the relays and solenoids on the left cover.
    On the right cover, use your nose and eyes for small pieces of FET's.

She probably is going to want to go for a ride as few will come do field service like I do. You don't want to know how much. Good Luck!