Need advice...

luckylee
luckylee Registered Users Posts: 6
I have 20- 100W/ 12V solar panels.. and they are going into a  24V battery bank system and there will be GTPOWER 6000W Peak 18000W APV Low Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverter DC 24V AC Input 240V Split Phase AC Output 120V 240V Battery Charger MPPT 60Amp Solar Charger/Controller..  I am not quite understanding how you wire the panels which are 12 V to a 24 V battery bank? I am thinking that we would have to wire two panels in series which would then be wired parrellel? Can anyone help me out here maybe with a good diagram...?

Comments

• luckylee
    anybody out there that can help me... wiring the panels...???

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lucky..,

Your envisioned system is in the medium size range.

DETAILs matter a lot.   The larger the system,   the more important are the exact details.

Please look at the manual for all of the hardware in the system,   OR consult the person or company that recommended this system configuration.

We would need much more INFORMATION on the system,   like the exact make and model number of the batteries,   etc.  And,  what is it that this system needs to do   ...   plus many other details.

IMO,   it seems that you are trying to start the system design by installing the PVs   ...   You really need a good paper design that makes sense,  given just what you are trying to accomplish.   This design needs to be done,   based on the loads that the system needs to supply,   when those occur,   their duration   and so on  --  ALL BEFORE buying any hardware.

Thanks for providing additional information.    Good Luck,  Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An MPPT controller, (a real one)  will tell you the maximum Voc. of the solar input. You might be able to wire your panels up to 5 at a time , in series. As mentioned above. Don't just start plugging things together, design your system.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    While this board was instrumental in getting my system functional, I consider reading an intro to solar book a requisite. They won't tell you all you need to know, they will tell you some needed fundamentals.

This is a great board that is constantly used by people who thought it would be easy and immediately went careening off into all the usual mistakes that new folks are inclined to make. These people are rarely seen again, probably still gnashing their jaws about the "defective gear" they bought that didn't work. 

The equipment you have requires a lot more than a basic "plug and play". 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    You need to read the manuals for you CC and the panels lots of detail there between the 2.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • luckylee
    We have read a lot and along with professional installation help we are up and running.. all the #'s are within range and we  are amazed what it can do. We are running the well and barns off of it all the time and backup for the essentials in the house.. We are installing a Rinai propane on demand hot water heater next weekend and then we will see how long we can go off the grid with the house. Thanks for all the input.. would love to hear and learn more...

GTPOWER 6000W Peak 18000W APV Low Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverter DC 24V AC Input 240V Split Phase AC Output 120V 240V Battery Charger MPPT 60Amp Solar Charger/Controller. a 24V Battery bank of 8/ 200ah military grade AGM Batteries and 20/ 100W -12V PV Panels. 

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Bet you feel much better now. After completing my array, I felt like I had, sort of, gave birth to an intricate life form. That now helps me cope with life and keeps me somewhat reasonably entertained. Just wish I could find a great news source.

Eight 200 Ah mil grade batteries? Six volt I would guess. Curious about the mil grade designation....
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • luckylee
    I am sorry I have not been on here... Softdown... they are 12V Batteries and we have them wired for a 24V system