Trace DR 2424 inverter fix.

littleharbor2
littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently picked up a Trace DR 2424 inverter. When I removed the housing to access the interior of the inverter I noticed the tiny button that controls the power, on/off function had broken off at its base, which is an equally tiny pot or whatever you would call it.  I'm really surprised to find a Trace product with such a miniscule component controlling a vital function. Sorry I didn't get pictures of it while I had it opened up. If you are looking at the face of the inverter it is the first tiny dot to the right of the square jack on the far left of the controls. I was hoping that someone out there has dealt with this problem and can point me in the right direction. heres a page from the manual which is clearer than my photo,  http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/xantrex_technology/dr2424.html?p=58

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Will the inverter turn on or off if you depress the base of this button with a toothpick or similar?
    If not, there has to be some local place that could replace the contacter.
    If you can live with MSW you will be pleased with the Trace.
    Mine has performed flawlessly for 24 seasons.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • littleharbor2
    Thanks for your reply, 706Jim. I just got off the phone with a very helpful service center and was told that this switch is the common failure point on these inverters. They informed me that these particular switches aren't made any more but the have removed them from units in their Trace boneyard. They don't have one at this time though. 

Funny I thought about using a  toothpick too as you suggested and he said that shaft has an electrical contact on it that electronically activates the switch and that a non conductive item like a toothpick wouldn't work. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• littleharbor2
    706jim said:

If you can live with MSW you will be pleased with the Trace.
    Mine has performed flawlessly for 24 seasons.
    This inverter is for a friend who has a 12 volt version and it should be a direct replacement. We're stepping up her system from 12 volt to 24 volt. Funny, down in Baja there are so many off grid people who have been running 12 volt systems forever, mostly because their Trace inverters are still running strong and they just cant justify switching out their fully functional inverters.

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you there. I contemplated changing my Trace for a PSW inverter when I got an electric fridge, but it seems to be working well despite the dismal power factor shown on my Killawatt.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a momentary normally open pushbutton switch I think.  Maybe you could just solder something like this in its place ?  Digikey has quite a few buttons that might work.  This is a picture of a Grayhill series 46 switch.  I thought that Alco might have something similar but there's probably lots that will work OK.

• littleharbor2
    This inverter is supposed to be a replacement for a friend's Trace 2412 version. I really wanted to keep it looking original. I had another suggestion from a member on a different forum to use a remote power switch intended for this inverter. I have ordered a new remote switch and am hoping this will be the simple way to remedy the problem. 
     BTW The button/shaft of this switch is about as thick as a pencil lead and the base is about 1/4" x 1/4", In other words its TINY

• boB
    Yes, I remember the switch.... It was sticking up too high and was too easily broken.  BTW, the same exact switch, maybe except for color, was used in the Magnum Energy MS inverters except they were recessed so they didn't break so easily.  At least that lesson was learned.
  • littleharbor2
    boB,  thanks for your suggestions. I will look into this possibility. 

• boB
    Here is the switch series.  It's an E-switch part.  We use it on one of our products so it is still available evidently.  Just noticed it the other day and thought of you.

https://www.e-switch.com/system/asset/product_line/data_sheet/185/TL3301.pdf

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
  • littleharbor2
    AMAZING!!  This sure looks right. At that price and free shipping from China I am thinking typo. I ordered them anyway not expecting much but, for a dollar nine, so what. Good eye NANOcontrol, thanks.

• littleharbor2
    edited December 2017 #13
    boB and NANocontrol, Thanks for your help here, Two hits in one day, nice. I have gotten the remote switch in the hopes that will work. I have to wait till after New Years Day to head down to Baja and try these. fixes.

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute,  These come in all shapes and sizes.  I gave that as an example of the search terms, that they are not expensive or out of production. There are 4, 6  and 8mm versions with different button height. If you were to random order sight unseen I would get this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/140x-momentary-tactile-push-button-switch-micro-SMD-SMT-tact-switches-14-typeP-T/182917301023?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

• littleharbor2
    The specs given on your original link look to be the correct size. If anything the shaft is possibly too long, though I don't think that would be an issue. If it is wrong I'll order the multi size set. Thanks again.

• littleharbor2
    I'm about ready to give up on my search for the RC4 or RC8 remote switches. I bought what I thought would be a compatible Xantrex remote switch. It won't work.  Being that it is just a moment switch to activate the power on/off and these phone jack type connectors only have 4 wires would there be a way to replace the modular plug and rearrange the wires to go where they need to go. In other words does anybody know where I may find the correct order of the connections on the inverter. I can easily enough figure which 2 wires are the moment switch wires on the remote but what I would need to know is where they go into the inverter side of the equation

• littleharbor2
    Update on the inverter fix. Found the first moment switches weren't quite right. I found some with the correct orientation of the solder points but the button was too short. That was an easy correction. I have a friend who worked in the aerospace industry doing fine electronics assembly. She made changing out the switch look easy. Inverter is working great now.

• piotr
    piotr Registered Users Posts: 2
    It looks like I have the same switch problem @littleharbor2, could you let me know from where did you order the compatible replacement switch? And also do you think it would be replaceable in a remote setting if you have no formal electronics repair experience? I do have generator and could bring a soldering iron. Thanks for any advice
  • littleharbor2
    edited May 2018 #19
     Here's the switch I bought. The only difference between this and original is the length of the button, itself. I sacrificed one and cut the button out of it and glued it on the switch to extend the length.
     I had a friend who did a lot of work in the aerospace electronics field do the actual solder work. It looked pretty easy though. She heated the 4 pins on the back side of the circuit board and removed the solder with a solder wick. It took a number of passes to get the 4 pins free so be patient. once she got the original switch out she just soldered in the new one.
     I'm sure her experience made it look easier to do than it would be for a novice with a soldering iron. I noticed, she kept re-tinning the iron, for whatever reason.  Being that I'm just a meat fisted clod when it comes to these delicate procedures I felt confident she would do a better job than I would.
     If you're patient and careful to not overheat the circuit board you should be able to do this. BTW she did fire up her generator for the soldering work as we're in Baja and in this area everybody is off grid solar powered and she preferred to use the generator instead of drawing the power from her batteries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-6mm-x-6mm-x-5mm-Panel-PCB-Momentary-Tactile-Tact-Push-Button-Switch-4-Pin-/322401915570?hash=item4b10a6d2b2

• littleharbor2
    edited May 2018 #20
    You may want to get this too. it has various length buttons but all have the contacts on the bottom. The one I specified earlier  has the contacts on the side, which you need. This kit will give you your choice of button lengths to cut off and add to the side contact switch.
     It would be much simpler if you could find a side contact moment switch with longer button. I couldn't.

https://www.ebay.com/p/10-Values-180pcs-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Mini-Momentary-Tact-Assortment-KI-R1/28010007799?iid=182948831180

• littleharbor2
    edited May 2018 #21
    Wow! found the right switch. It's in this kit. It's the second from the last one in this  photo.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017AUFSJA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B017AUFSJA&pd_rd_wg=2ShM2&pd_rd_r=YMSN0QKRSETT93X4SFTG&pd_rd_w=Pthnq

• piotr
    piotr Registered Users Posts: 2
    @littleharbor2 thanks for all your help, this is so great:)
  • littleharbor2
    piotr said:
    @littleharbor2 thanks for all your help, this is so great:)
    Good luck. Hope it works out well for you. Don't forget the solder and solder wick.

• pipo
    pipo Registered Users Posts: 1
    I, my name is Placide. I' d like to have schematic diagram of trace dr2424. can someone help me?