reading lamp

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
anyone found a nice small flex reading light that uses low wattage incandescent bulbs?????

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ws9876 said:
    anyone found a nice small flex reading light that uses low wattage incandescent bulbs?????

There are low wattage LED's and High wattage incandescent.

Do you need portable battery power lights, or mains power lights ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a little 4 watt LED lamp from Target, It's a base lamp (vs clamp light) but has flexible 14" 'arm'? plenty of light to read by. I understand that the blueish color of LED's apparently don't promote sleepiness, I try to turn it off 30 minutes before I want to fall asleep, seems to work out okay. I think my body is getting use to the idea that once the light goes out it's time to sleep.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    ^^ LED's are not normally bluish. I was just able to buy some Daylight LED's that mimic natural sunlight. So these bulbs produce more blue light and less yellow and green light. 

Interesting that "mood lights" that are supposed to combat the winter blues also produce more blue light per my observation. 

Bulbs (flourescent) tend to really favor producing light in the green and yellow spectrum. Bulbs that produce more blue light almost always costs more in the past. Modern LEDS seem to be an exception. LEDS can produce any color and the costs would "seem" to all be the same. 

OLED bulbs struggle with blue light. Last I heard, manufacturers were simply placing a blue film over normal diode since blue OLED diodes have very short lives. We have been getting OLED screens in our smartphones for years due to their greater energy efficiency.

As for the original poster (OP), incandescents are more of a heater than a light source. 70% of the energy is consumed as heat. Plus the light is not at all a natural spectrum. It is very yellow. 

I have been buying LED bulbs for .50 to $1 bulb here lately. Plus they last much, much longer. 

http://www.eyelighting.com/resources/lighting-technology-education/general-lighting-basics/light-spectrum/

Incandescent bulbs = yech. Unless someone digs them. Then...rock on though they will be wasting energy. Our "nation" honestly doesn't seem to concerned with that. White shingles have been a special order for some time....for example.  
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • ecarus
    ecarus Registered Users Posts: 4
    There should be lots of daylight LED lights available good for small room and reading use.