SunPower Inverter Issue

mountainstorage
mountainstorage Registered Users Posts: 4
edited December 2017 in Construction #1
We have a Sunpower System, The inverter is issuing an error message and is not producing. The message originally said update complete and now it says Electr Arc detected, the second message is check DC converter and the red warning light is on.  I thought it may be a firmware update but Sun Power said there were no recent firmware updates. Sunpower said wait 24 hours to see if it starts producing and if not call a dealer and pay for a service call . The system is less than two years old. Anyone have a similar problem with a Sunpower System? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    @mountainstorage
    It might be advantageous to you to ask this question at solarpaneltalk.com also.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cycle DC & AC power off and see if it resets itself, does your owners manual cover any error resolution ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mountainstorage
    edited December 2017 #4
    Thank you for the comments, we did reset the system and now the update complete message is gone but I still have the red warning light and the  Electr Arc detected and Check DC Converter message. From what I read the message could be

Arc-faults in PV systems may be the result of faulty components, installation errors, or mechanical damage and aging occurring after installation. Some common examples for arc-fault causes include:
        » Damaged, pinched or abraded conductors.
        » Loose or separated connections or terminations.
        » Cracked or corroded solder joints in modules or other components.

However what has me perplexed is the original Update complete message and  also our system is under two years old
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like time to call the installer. Depending on where you are located there should be warranty. Arc faults on SMA inverters are common if you search. I think that Sunpower just stamps their name on an SMA. They are very nice modules!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mountainstorage
    Yes, I have called to have it looked at and from what I can tell all the connections look good. It is a Sunny Boy SMA converter.