Vinyl Tube lost in Flooded Lead Acid Battery Cell...

openplanet
openplanet Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
I use the excellent hydrometer sold by Midnite Solar and other vendors.  Unfortunately, its little vinyl tube is only affixed with a pressure fit, and tends to fall off.  I've now lost two such tubes (about .25" o.d. x about 4" long) in two different cells of my battery bank, and they're proving impossible to see, let alone retrieve.  I've always been fastidious about keeping my battery compartment clean and minimizing contaminants in the cells.  So the question is...will these hunks of vinyl damage the cells they've drowned in?  Thank you.

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they will cause any significant problem.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • dexter12353
    dexter12353 Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I wouldn't go poking around inside of a cell with a screwdriver or pair of pliers to try and get it out!!!
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think an internet search may tell if vinyl tubing dissolves in battery acid. Such tubing is usually either made of PVC (stiffer) or silicone (supple and more expensive) as I recall.

Midnite should know the answer...
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited November 2017 #5
    You can look up chemical compatibility charts for various materials (page 46 for the following PDF link):

http://www.graco.com/content/dam/graco/ipd/literature/misc/chemical-compatibility-guide/Graco_ChemCompGuideEN-B.pdf

Use (I think) the ~50-65% concentration for electrolyte (sulfuric acid+water).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    You can look up chemical compatibility charts for various materials (page 46 for the following PDF link):

http://www.graco.com/content/dam/graco/ipd/literature/misc/chemical-compatibility-guide/Graco_ChemCompGuideEN-B.pdf

Use (I think) the ~50-65% concentration for electrolyte (sulfuric acid+water).

-Bill
    While a nice dig, I do not see PVC (poly vinyl chloride) mentioned. Nor do we know, for sure, what the tube is made of. Assuming that it is vinyl or PVC is a "good guess". 

I think black hose is often nitrile but can be rubber. Then we have blends as well.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries