Different Pattern on Same Model Solar Panels

lzhome
lzhome Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
Both of these are RNG-100D panels, one purchased a few weeks ago and one arrived yesterday. The while area looking like diamonds are much smaller on the top panel. All of the specs are exactly the same. Anything to be concerned about here? Did not contact Renogy to ask thinking I may get a more honest answer here. Thanks.

TriStar MPPT, 8 x 100w PV, MNPV6 Combiner, 4 x 12v 155ah VMAXTanks AGMs and GoPower 2000w PSW Inverter.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different sized ingots were used in the cell mfg. process. If you measure the distance diagonally across the two different sized cells there should be a difference. I'm willing to bet the Isc. Imp. Voc and Vmp numbers are slightly different between the two panels. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• lzhome
    I'm willing to bet the Isc. Imp. Voc and Vmp numbers are slightly different between the two panels. 
    All specifications exactly the same, same label.
    TriStar MPPT, 8 x 100w PV, MNPV6 Combiner, 4 x 12v 155ah VMAXTanks AGMs and GoPower 2000w PSW Inverter.
  • littleharbor2
    Have you tested them yourself?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• lzhome
    Have you tested them yourself?
    Not yet. It will be a few weeks before they go online but I can check the voltage tomorrow.
  • littleharbor2
     Just curious. It would be nearly impossible to get highly accurate readings without a controlled setting. If you have a still sunny day and an accurate DVM you may be able to see a difference.

I'm also curious about the exact measurement across the different cells. That will tell you the diameter of the ingots that these cells were sliced from.  There is one manufacturer who uses oversize ingots to slice their monocrystalline cells from. This gives them true square cells. 99.9% of the monocrystalline cells you see will be these psudo-square cells with the clipped looking corners.

• lzhome
    Checked the voltage today under partly cloudy to full sun. The two panels with the larger white space was 22.3 v where the panel with smaller white space was 21.7. The panel specs call for Voc of 22.5v. I was surprised that the older design panel with larger white diamond space had a very close Voc to specs.
    I did call Renogy and they said it was a new manufacturing process and that all the panels should have the same performance.