Solar panel installation questions for lithium batteries and controllers

So this is what I am looking at hardware wise

5 x 330 watt panels 
5 x Victron MPPT 100/30 
3 x 300ah lithium batteries

I have been told to wire the panels with individual controllers but I'm not sure why I would do that?

Would I not be better off wiring them in parallel with a single controller.

I am getting a few different versions from different techs so figure I would pop the question here.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What system voltage? How far from panels to controller?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • redunculous
    redunculous Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited October 2017 #3
    12v 

Not installed yet but length should not exceed 10ft.

I know the MPPT stated will be too small for the combination of all panels but I am curious as to why I would be told to use individual MPPT rather than 1 with more capacity. The reason I was given was for shading but parallel will avoid that will it not.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In parallel, shading isn't nearly as big an issue as it would be with a series string. 10' isn't far, so not much to be saved by doing strings anyway.

I don't know how much these Victron units cost, or if the features that are typically included with larger controllers are useful to you, but I'd be inclined to consider one or two larger units rather than 5 small ones.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter