automate your gas water heater

jeffreyd123
jeffreyd123 Registered Users Posts: 3
Gas water heaters can be controlled through home automation devices as well as Smart Phones and computers. A gas water heater timer can save energy and extend the life of your water heater. It is simple to install and cost effective. It can be found on the internet.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What I worry about, now lose hot water if you drop your ac mains unless you have back up power.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Diya
    Diya Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have a 50 gallon electric water heater that costs a fortune to operate. Even though it's "energy efficient" because it's new, it's still costing me about $400 and some change annually to operate for one person. I have been looking everywhere for an intelligent, user-friendly timer that I can control a little easier than with those antiquated gray box mechanical timers. We live in an age of internet and smart phones and I'd like to think that there's a product somewhere that I can use that will allow me to turn my electric water heater on and off as I wish either from my iphone or the internet. 

Does such a product exist here? Can someone recommend something? Thank you.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A lighting controller such as these https://www.controlbyweb.com/applications/light-control.html could be used to drive a relay or contactor which controls the water heater, one of many available, just a random search result, no affiliation.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Gas water heaters can be controlled through home automation devices as well as Smart Phones and computers. A gas water heater timer can save energy and extend the life of your water heater. It is simple to install and cost effective. It can be found on the internet.
    They also can be just turned off and run from a solar water collector most of the year or always in the right climate :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net