Solar charger and AC charger together

DuaneJ
DuaneJ Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a new camper trailer.  I have a new AGM battery and an inline AC charger.  I want to add a solar panel with controller. 
How do I wire the to chargers so they do not interfere with each other? 
Do I put a switch in line for each of them so I turn one on and the other off?
Can I put a switch in line on the solar system without hurting it?  I have read that the controller and panel and battery must always be connected.
Thanks,
Duane

Comments

• kamchuka
    kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    i would think a charge controller does that on its own. both chargers should be equipped with diodes to not allow current to go backwards. I am not a pro though. you can stack things onto a battery terminal IE: solar, wind, genset etc. should be plug and play. make sure you hook the charge controller to the battery first then input the panels.  
    900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    An AC charger and charge controller can be connected in parallel without issues, as each will see the voltage at the battery and contribute as required. NOTE. Be sure the AC charger is a smart or regulate type, some cheaper units can raise the voltage to higher than desired, when using AGM batteries make sure the charger supports them as a charger designed for flooded batteries can damage AGM by overcharging, causing venting of the gasses, which once lost, can never be replaced, resulting in lost capacity. The best option would be a multi stage charger designed for the purpose, such as this https://www.solar-electric.com/iota-engineering-dls-30-iq4.html 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As well as @mcgivor's comments, which are apt, on the issue of "switching" the solar system, I'd +1 @kamchuka comment. The controller should boot from battery first, then see pv.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    i would switch them .. imo the correct way to do it would be to switch the positive panel lead AND the positive charger lead to the batt .. then the correct procedure would be to always switch off the panel before connecting or disconnecting the solar charger ..
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality solar chargers will work transparently with quality mains power and Quality vehicle alternator Isolator chargers
    I currently have Midnight, Morningstar and Xantrex all charging my battery bank, as required
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,