Volt Fault

codger47
codger47 Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
 Hi Guys

Greetings from South Australia. 7.34 AM  with a gentle spring rain.

In the last week I have had the error 'volt fault' on my inverter 3 times.  The system usually adjusts itself within half an hour or so. I kind of understand what causes of the fault, but have some questions:

How often is normal for this issue? Do I need to get the retailer to change some settings? Should that be covered by warrantee? ( I've had the system for 2 months)

Thank you in anticipation.
Tagged:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Is this a grid tied system?

Typically, the maximum line voltage allowed is around 264 vac. Do you know your line voltage  (with and without the gt inverter running)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Without any details, codge, neither we nor the people who sold you the system can give you any answers. It's honestly that simple. The more details you provide, the better and the faster the answers will be. It's honestly that simple.
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 #4

From page 20 of your pfd manual

Rated grid voltage and range [V]  220/230/240 (180-280)

Rated AC frequency and range(Hz)   Hz 50(45-55)/60(55-65)

From page 22 of your pdf manual

Voltage fault: Grid Voltage Out of Range

Inverter will reconnect when grid returns to normal

if this continues to be a problem your inverter is programmable to change these settings. I wouldn't mess with it though until you check your in  coming voltages and you are familiar with making the changes.
  • codger47
    Thanks guys. I'm on a steep learning curve here. Difficult when you don't know what you don't know, but I'm learning. Fault is happening not less than once a week.

I DID do some research. answers I found mentioned settings could be changed, but was not recommended. That the conductors between inverter and grid could be too small. Also the local grid voltage could be too high.

The reason for my question was to discover if this fault can expected on a regular basis, or should it be rare?
  • codger47
    Have ben monitoring the inverter the last few days; the volt fault has only happened once, at noon, cloudless day, for about 15 minutes.

Did some more digging. There are quit a few explanations around. I found two new ones.I post them in the hope that the information may be of use to someone. (1) impedance issue; inverter may be too close to the switchboard. In my case the inverter is 50 cm (20 inches) from the switchboard. There is no isolation switch.  I was told by installer it was not needed. (2) The time of day; fault occurs during the day when there is less demand on the grid.

Please tell me if those explanation are bs.( I lifted them from another forum) I will post the url if it is allowed.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dose the inverter have logs which can be accessed with a PC, voltage logs would shed some light either too high or low causing the fault, also establish if there is a pattern, eg. time of day. If everything works most of the time, it would seem likely that it is a grid related issue, rather than a hardware problem, just a logical assumption, having access to trends would be invaluable.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • codger47
    There is a computer link to the inverter which shows current level of output in kw, the total of  kwh for the day, and a running total.

No mention of voltage.

I have been monitoring this week. So far, 4 volt fault errors. All between noon and 2pm, (daylight saving time). No error on Sunday. Actual production has decreased only a little (1 or 2 kWh)

I will continue to monitor for the rest of the week, so I have a full week. If problem persists I will start by calling the inverter retailer, to see if output voltage can be increased.  (?)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Have you measured your place's line voltage yet with a decent ac voltmeter? Not uncommon to find  utility voltage is too high.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • codger47
    Hi Bill

No, I have not.  Don't have a voltmeter or access to one except by paying an electrician.. I will ring my power company, I have a pet nerd there. 

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask your "pet nerd" if he/she can put a data logger on the line and take  readings until a fault occurs, this would establish if voltage and frequency are within specifications.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 #12
    Codger a KILL-A-WATT meter will give you the Voltage and frequency... were about $20, just plug in to outlet , then plug a light or ? into KaW and turn on the light...   select units you want..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada