Arco panels does anyone still use these?

706jim
706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
Back in 1994, panels were expensive, really expensive. I was able to purchase 7 Arco panels that I think were recycled from a solar farm in Arizona for about $700. The poor things were burnt brown when I got them and had an open circuit potential of approximately 6.5 volts. I was able to get about 180 watts from these when they had no other help and they still work today.
So, are these things still around?
Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #2
    Carrizo plain solar farm sold off all their panels  when they shut down They were sold as different grades depending on their condition. The bottom grade were called mud grade. The encapsulant had a tendency to "bronze" over the cell surface. I believe they were experimenting with mirrors to produce higher performance from the modules which added to the bronzing. Many modules were sold in "quad lam" configuration which had 4 modules in a frame.

By the way, My first solar panel was one of the Carrizo Arco panels.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok that rings a bell. Up here they were sold as bronze silver and gold. Never knew about "mud" grade; those must have been totally smoked. I did hear mention of mirrors being used on them. About 1' x 4' from what I remember while installing them.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to know they are still working! I recall hearing about those. I purchased my first panel, I think they were an option, found we actually had a solar business in town, Al's Simpler Solar System's. It was still around last I heard in Tallahassee Florida. Shipping even then was a factor as I could buy a 60-70 watt panel locally. About as big as I wanted on my small sailboat. Same place I bought the Photowatt panels from used, a bargain at @$3 a measured watt in 2001!

I have some Photowatt panels about 1980 vintage, They sound pretty in comparison. They still work pretty darn well! About 55 watt panels, rounds behind low iron prism glass. I'd bet the glass would cost more than today's panels. I lent one to a friend who uses it to directly run a water pump for hydroponics.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Just for giggles I would love to get a hold on some of the newer ARCOs that used the staggered rows of round cells. It will go in the collection with my souvenir Solyndra tube;). I have seen a few of them installed at off grid camps but have never found anyone home to ask about them.

I went to a solar sale about 10 years ago where a solar installer was cleaning out a storage unit. They had several quad lams for sale in various conditions. The sold for cheap but they claimed they worked.  I picked up a pile of slightly newer Siemens 60 watt panels that I think were replaced on warranty as they had some delamination issues that I think were EVA related. I added a few I bought on ebay and assembled my first 2 KW array (back when new panels were $5 a watt). They got replaced with Evergreens bought after the bankruptcy and II sold most of them to off grid  camp owners. I still have one in service on a solar hot water system on my roof hooked direct to a DC pump. This one definitely has a lot more honey brown coloration to it. Its oversized but at some point I may need to replace it.

• littleharbor2
    edited September 2017 #6
    I don't know which modules are older but the crude traces on the round cells make them look older than the Carrizo Arco module

SuperSolar, I hope it's ok I used your photo.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Superdupersolar
    Superdupersolar Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited October 2017 #7
    No prob! Here's a close-up of the l'il old fellers.
  • fayelee
    fayelee Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 0
    littleharbor2 said:
    I don't know which modules are older but the crude traces on the round cells make them look older than the Carrizo Arco module

SuperSolar, I hope it's ok I used your photo.

Hi littleharbor2

I had one Arco solar panel, which is similar to what you posted on top (33cells mono-si one). But the nameplate was peeled off from the backsheet. I am wondering if you could share these parameters such as model #, short circuit current, max power, open-circuit voltage. 

As I don't know how to upload my module image, if you are interested I can send it to you directly. Thanks. 

• littleharbor2
    I don't own that particular panel. Info is hard to find on those oldies. My guess is it is about 40- 55 watts. 33 cells makes it one of the "self regulating ' panels with a Vmp of something like 15.5 t0 16.5 volts.