Bridge rectifier

iofosho
iofosho Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi I have a question that is bot making sense to me, ok let's say that someone wants to do a grid tie in system. instead of using micro inverters why wouldn't they be able to use a bridge rectifier instead? To my understanding of a bridge rectifier is that it converts a/c to d/c. so all they'll have to do is combine there solar panels in parallel( as long as they stay within the amps ratings for the rectifier) and send it straight to the grid.

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    A Grid-Tie Inverter, converts Solar Panel DC into Grid complaint AC in a very controller manner.
    A bridge rectifier, converts AC into Pulsed DC.
    How is that the same thing?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A bridge rectifier is a combination of diodes arranged in such away that will convert alternating current into a somewhat dirty direct current, solar PV modules already produce a clean DC, so there is no reason to involve a rectifier, a rectifier cannot, if used in reverse,  produce AC current. In order to do this an inverter which converts DC to AC is required, to add to this the inverter needs to reference to the frequency of the grid, and match the frequency and voltage, the inverter needs to be able to shut down the feed into the grid, when the grid fails, to protect against back feeding the grid whilst repairs are being conducted. 
    This is a very brief explanation, hope it shines some light on your question, it's much more complex than simply doing what you outlined.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.