Running a step down transformer off of an off grid 120v inverter?

Options
2»

Comments

• imcloud
    imcloud Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Options
    it can not be programmed unless plugged in, I don't think the 9volt is what makes it keep time, the program is permanent once you set it, and then the timing is done like a global watch....  How it was explained to me...  I was going to put the kill a watt on a system in service today but the groundskeeper wasnt available to open the mechanical room, as soon as I can get in there, I am going to measure 1-when the system is idle, 2 when the system pulls in 1 valve, and 3 when it holds that valve open..  That will give me a good idea of what it will use, then the only thing I have to put the puzzle together is inverters losses...   I was really hoping to be able to do it with 2 panels and 2 100ah batteries, that is what another gentleman is using but he has a different brand clock and a 24vac inverter...  he said his works flawless and never dies...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Here is a 24vac inverter

https://www.powerstream.com/inv-12dc-24vac.htm

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • imcloud
    Options
    Yes but this unit has 24vac and 7vac I spoke with matt at powerstream and he said they dont make a 7vac inverter, an option would have been finding a 24vac step down transformer/converter...  but I think the 120v is an easier route...

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Sure about the 7 VAC output lead(s) from the transformer? (I do not see anything in the specifications). Could it be something like 7 VA instead (no "C" at the end--VA is Volts*Amps and sort of like Watts)?

Otherwise, I agree, you are are probably better off with 120 VAC inverter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • imcloud
    Options
    how I under stand it they are running 24 and 7 for the 30v the field runs on..

• imcloud
    Options
    the transformer has 2 sets of windings, 1 makes 24 and 1 makes 7