BP solar panel lawsuit & settlement

geosierranevada
geosierranevada Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
I have been away from this forum for a year or two,  i searched and i could not find mention of the bp solar settlement on this forum. I am in the process  of having my bp sx120s panels picked up by waste management for disposal.  I will receive $ 2.10 per watt after all said and done.
George
Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BP sx120's I'm surprised they would be included in the group of faulty modules. They seem to be of an older vintage and appear to have full junction boxes. The ones in question I thought were sx 170, 4175b, 175b and 3175b models witch had no junction box and polarized mc-3 leads.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• geosierranevada
    There are many BP panels involved in the bpsolarsettlement.com lawsuit.  Having my 16 panels turned in to BP puts over $ 4000.00 in my pocket. I purchased a pallet of kyocera 245 watt ( 20 panels) for $ .60 a watt shipped. The BP sx120s were starting to fail and were only putting out about 65%. Now i have 4900 watts pv instead of 1900 watts. If anyone has BP panels manufactured between 2000 & 2007 they should check into the settlement  George
    Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy
  • geosierranevada
    Further, these panels BP panels had mc- 3 leads , no junction box.       George
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were they 36 cell (12) volt or 72 cell (24) volt modules?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• geosierranevada
    edited August 2017 #6
    Voltage at pmax 33.7 volts 72 cells.  There are about 50 different BP panels involved in the settlement.
    George
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A good lesson to all in buying from a company that most likely will be there down the road, especially offgrid where there is no-one else.

geosierranevada two kinds of ofgrid, those who want solar and those who want more!  A bit toasty up in our Sierra today?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• geosierranevada
    And i purchased them 15 years ago because they were made in America. Now i buy Kyocera's that were a product of mexico. Yes very warm in Kennedy  Meadows (southern sierra one). At least cell phones do not work up here which is a +++.
    George
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 #9
    No mention of the original cost per watt, that would put everything into perspective, but good to hear you weren't left holding a bunch of junk, so to speak, anything is better than nothing, on the surface it would appear you came out ahead, with the prices dropping, just curious. Interesting that BP purchased Lucas AkA, Prince of Darkness's interest in solar technology.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A 160 watt BP was  $775 in 2005 dealer price. You do not want to know what they cost 5 or 10 years earlier. In the 1980's I bought a few for HP and the company who made them made the panel, told you how many watts they made, and wanted a blank check. Sometimes they asked for a deposit and an unknown amount once they were finished building. Kind of like Aerospace. :'(
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• geosierranevada
    They were $225.00 in 2003 which made them $1.88 a watt, of course 1.88 then would be a bit more now. I am surprised that the BP settlement was not mentioned on this forum. There are 60 different BP panels involved in this lawsuit settlement. $ .60 a watt shipped for the class A Kyocera panels was a good deal and i feel real good about the whole deal.
    George
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    About 6yrs. ago a friend and I bought and split a lot of 30ea SP150 panels for scrap aluminum price from the original government purchaser for $320. We were able to salvage 16ea. that were still giving good performance. I never put them into service but just had them around if I found a purpose for them. Being the pack rat that I am, at a net cost of $20 ea, I might just keep them around as they are true 24V panels. Even though the panels are part of the recall, after reading the online pdf I still don’t know if they qualify for the settlement
  • geosierranevada
    Bill (bb) could you move my bp solar settlement comment to this solar reviews column?  Also how do i change my info below my comments. I am on a tablet and can not paste and copy.    Thank You        George
  • Aguarancher
    edited August 2017 #14
    I am surprised that the BP settlement was not mentioned on this forum.
    George
    As I recall they have been discussed in the past, just don't know where the posts are.. I know BB had his original BP panels replaced. Wonder if his replacement panels are part of the settlement?
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    About 6yrs. ago a friend and I bought and split a lot of 30ea SP150 panels for scrap aluminum price from the original government purchaser for $320. We were able to salvage 16ea. that were still giving good performance. I never put them into service but just had them around if I found a purpose for them. Being the pack rat that I am, at a net cost of $20 ea, I might just keep them around as they are true 24V panels. Even though the panels are part of the recall, after reading the online pdf I still don’t know if they qualify for the settlement
    Having done a somewhat similar thing, I believe that one has to be the original purchaser. This subject has been previously covered and that was the conclusion. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Aguarancher
    softdown said:
    Having done a somewhat similar thing, I believe that one has to be the original purchaser. This subject has been previously covered and that was the conclusion. 
    read the pdf,it covers secondary owners.
  • geosierranevada

It would be worth a try for they would get you $ 315.00 each. Which is over $ 5000.00 and for that you could purchase 10,000 watts of panels.    George
  • geosierranevada
    You do not have to be the orig purchaser only the present owner.  George
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Bill (bb) could you move my bp solar settlement comment to this solar reviews column?  Also how do i change my info below my comments. I am on a tablet and can not paste and copy.    Thank You        George
    Your other (single post thread) is in the right place, and will stay up there for awhile (not a busy sub-forum).

To edit your signature, click here (or use the "settings" "gear" to "edit profile" in the upper right next to your name and look for signature link:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/signature

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Aguarancher
  • softdown
    BP claim link
    That would be a bit aggressive to make a claim over panels bought at scrap. Let us know how it works out.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Here is the website for more information/forms:

http://www.bpsolarsettlement.com/

And there are limitations:
    The Settlement includes anyone in the United States who: (1) purchased certain BP solar panels for installation on a property, or (2) currently owns a property on which these panels are installed and, in either case, who still owns some or all of the BP solar panels.
    You must file a claim to receive benefits. You can file a claim online or call 1-844-360-2767 to request a claim form be sent to you. Category 1 claims will be paid until the Fund is spent. Category 2 claims will last for three years after it starts or until the $20 million fund is spent.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Aguarancher
    softdown said:
    That would be a bit aggressive to make a claim over panels bought at scrap. Let us know how it works out.

I knew about the original settlement and never filed a claim. I was just curious if they were included if you just had them in your physical possession. Like I said, they have just been hanging around for 6yrs. looking for a project.

• softdown
    softdown said:

I knew about the original settlement and never filed a claim. I was just curious if they were included if you just had them in your physical possession. Like I said, they have just been hanging around for 6yrs. looking for a project.

There exists a few companies that I would delight in making a claim on. If only AT&T was compensating faulty panels, I would attempt to buy every bad AT&T panel west of the Mississippi. Long story that one.