High voltage charge controller

Options
littleharbor2
littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
 Ran across this high voltage charge controller this morning and had to wonder, Where you would use a battery bank with such high voltage (up to 240Vdc.) This thing can take up to 12 Kw. of PV input w/240 volt battery, big system, big battery.  I know there are high voltage dc applications but they would seem pretty few and far between. So I am asking the pros here for their comments. I realize this looks like a cheap "far east" import, Are their high end equivalents?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Voltage-PWM-Solar-Charge-Controller-Battery-Regulator-100A-for-PV-System-/122631270342?var=&hash=item1c8d64afc6:m:mvbdWt8_TQNakTsilKokGNQ

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Firstly I don't consider myself a pro, but logically if you take an inverter rated at 24V versus a 48V, the 48vV is usually more efficient, so applying that logic and reason, would  converting, 120V DC to 120VAC, or 240V as in this case be more efficient,  the battery would not nesesarally be larger, just more cells in a string, of a smaller individual Ah capacity 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you are right, I think manufacturers are looking forward to the high voltage lithium battery packs for people who would like to "cobble together" a system. Looks like most of the incoming lithium battery packs will be high voltage.

Personally don't care for high voltage DC, but it looks like what is driving the industry currently.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    edited August 2017 #4
    Options
    I see the efficiency benefits and potential for a large battery. They have a wide range of voltages available as well. Just seems to be geared toward a niche market. Regulations get more stringent above 48 volts, at least in the US.
    Gotta wonder who is using these and what for. Also what kind of reliability it has. Doesn't seem geared toward the hobbiest  market.  

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do not see the 400V batteries being a big deal for us. Schneider and Outback are not going that way. Even the car market is looking seriously at 48V. Remember that the high voltage battery has a different cooling requirment/safety and still has some form of DC converter plus the BMS.
    I think you guys are looking at last years news. Even Tesla has gone to 48V. Look at that thing the model 2. How many things are just wrong for offgrid. The masses may love Elon but....

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Dave, I hadn't heard Tesla had gone to 48 volt! good to my ears!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    One of the reasons Schneider abandoned an all in one this year was the 400V box does not surge well without using up all the cost savings in the design. The Hi voltage RESU10H form LG is only available with an inverter that is 240 vac and needs a transformer to produce 120vac in an outage :'( SMA will have something more intelligent in the fall for the LG HV bank.

At my place, I place a very high value on being able to surge for my fire pumps at the same time as all of my other loads (Wifey)........ <3

• littleharbor2
    edited August 2017 #8
    Options
    Hi Dave, I can't tell if this comment is in the right thread or not, referring to post #5. But as to the 48 volt Tesla Powerwall, it's a no go, isn't it?

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    It  (ac version 48vdc) is what is currently being installed a hundred miles or so from Corporate in Palo Alto CA. It already does not look the same on the outside as my screen shot. The Ap was not working so another truck roll. They are in the first month shipping model 2 to installers and I doubt these will ever get out there for do-it yourself. One step further, they will only be used on e-bay with zero warranty. Solar City and their "people" only. Most of the Panasonic cells sold on e-bay are rejects from Tesla.

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have seen other brands that have both  a ~48 V and a hi Voltage model as well, had the same question about  what application it fit..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    I have seen other brands that have both  a ~48 V and a hi Voltage model as well, had the same question about  what application it fit..

This 100 amp controller apparently has 96, 110, 120, 192, 216, 220 and 240 volt battery models available. It fairly boggles the mind. Then again my mind boggles fairly easily.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    industrial UPS use high DC voltages.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    edited August 2017 #13
    Options
    The Tesla model 2, that is just out there now, is 48vdc. It has an industrial version that has a  48VDC step up for high voltage just as the LG Resu 10H does. It is very easy to build a step for any voltage that is required, within reason.