Need a New Pump Controller?

pabloesguapo
pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
I am 100% off grid.  Using a Grundfos 16SQF-10 pump, and a Grundfos CU-200 SQ Flex control box.

Yesterday, the pump stopped working.  On the controller, the tank icon had a yellow light, indicating tank pressure was low, so the pressure tank pfessure switch is working.   I checked power all the way to the pump, and my meter read 120v.  Yes, i pulled the pump all the way up, 150ft.  I tested the pump in a barrel of water on a different 120v direct power source, using the same original 150ft power cable, and it fired right up.  I reinstalled the pump down the well casing, but had the same problem again.  Even though the controller was sending 120v, the pump will not run.  If I power it directly, it works.  The controller gives no error codes.

So, i have water, kind of.  I just have to plug in an extension cord and watch the pressure at the tank to know when to pull the plug.  

Is it a bad controller?  Is there a way to get it serviced?

Do i have to go with a grundfos, or one specifically designed for solar?

Ideas?
27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
(2) Outback fx3648 inverters
Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
Mate3s

Comments

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Are all your connections verified good without resistance?
  • pabloesguapo
    Yes.  Getting 120v all the way to the pump.  If i use the wiring from the controller, the pump won't work.  If i use a rigged up AC extension cord from a wall socket, it does work.
    Mate3s
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They build and sell them here in Central California. They often cost about as much to service as to buy new. If you still had warranty they would look at the controller for surge protection and might void the warranty. You do have external surge protection, Right?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• pabloesguapo
    LOL!  Sure.  We all do...
    Mate3s
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that is why you get to buy another one :):)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• pabloesguapo
    Tell me about surge protection.  The only ones I know of are those glorified power strips you get at an office supply store to protect your computers, and a Furman rack mountable unit to protect a PA system.

Secondly, do I HAVE to get another Grundfos controller?  What's so special about them that I have to get a Grundfos?  I
    Mate3s
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our host sells Midnight and other surge protection devices. They get hard wired into the system, typically on circuits likely to be prone to lightning like overhead AC wiring, DC wiring to solar panels, etc., before the circuit gets to electronics.

The little power strip ones are of limited usefulness IMHO.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • pabloesguapo
    Is there any reason why I have to use a Grundfos controller with that Grundfos pump?  I mean, all it supposedly does it turn on the power when the tank pressure switch says so, right?  if I found a 115v, 12amp controller like this one, will it work?  Or is there something about the Grundfos that is proprietary?

$390 from our host for a new CU-200, or $55 for this one.

http://www.thepumpwarehouse.com/product.asp?specific=2403

Mate3s
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Ask Franklin....??? it might be pump specific too.... Grundfos pumps...not just a,'' will it work with a Grundfos pump''

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    When I bought the grundfus pump The supply house  sold me a regular square d 20 40 pressure switch and told me that I didn,t need a controller. I originally thought I was going to be off grid but went grid tied with the standard 220 v pump that was already installed. So it has never been used.
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any reason why I have to use a Grundfos controller with that Grundfos pump?  I mean, all it supposedly does it turn on the power when the tank pressure switch says so, right?  if I found a 115v, 12amp controller like this one, will it work?  Or is there something about the Grundfos that is proprietary?

$390 from our host for a new CU-200, or $55 for this one.

http://www.thepumpwarehouse.com/product.asp?specific=2403

I don't have a Grundfos pump, but did a ton of research when I thought I needed to replace my existing well pump.

From what I could tell (and what I remember), if you have a SQ or SQFlex and a pressure tank with a switch, the controller doesn't do much for you and isn't required. You just have the pressure tank switch turn the pump on and off. If you have an SQE (variable speed), it sounds like you either need or at least would benefit greatly from one of the Grundfos controllers to optimize the efficiency of the pump for your pressure and flow needs.

We don't have any controller at all for our existing pump. Like you said, the pressure switch turns on at the tank, and you can have that switch wire directly to the pump to turn it on.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.