elcheapo transfer switch

sunnyskies
sunnyskies Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
here is my handbuilt 20amp transfer switch for switching between my inverter and my generator. Please comment /critique as to code compliant or not?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Interesting concept.

About the only question is you will have a break before make connection. I think that is true.

Limitations would include only for PSW/TSW inverter and no neutral bonding in the gender or AC inverter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I like it. I'd use 3 nuts, so the handles are clamped to the machine screw without pulling them together. What did you use for the stabs on the breakers? Looks like it might just be bent plated steel? I'd find a cheap panel and use a rotary tool with cutoff wheel to cut out real stabs. I know they sell individual stabs for some breakers, but no idea where you actually find some.

No real idea on code compliance, guess it might fail due to some "must be an approved design", registration, or testing requirement.
  • sunnyskies
    sunnyskies Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks for your comments bill. I do indeed have a break before make switching arrangement. In testing with the generator and the inverter running I added a 55" flatscreen and dish net receiver to the output and can switch between genny and inverter or viceversa and not drop out the tv or sat dish, it switches quick. total cost was $16.95 for the 6x6x4 box a few bucks for the term strip 3 1/2 flex connectors and thhn #12 wire $7.95 for the qo bolt on breakers 20 amp worked for me with a 1500 watt inverter 12.5 amps output and a honda 2000i at 15.6 amp output fits well with the NEC 80% rule. as you said neutrals must not be bonded at the genny or inverter bond instead will be in the service panel cutting out the blank cover to fit the breakers was the hardest part. cheap xfer switch for an off grid cabin or what have you. hope this helps someone out.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #5
    Use a Dremmel with a cutting disc next time. It makes things very easy.