Pump powered by an invertor not working. Why

allotmentman1
allotmentman1 Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
  • I Have bought a Ring 500 watt invertor to run a pond pump rated at 65 watts power. The pump does not work from the invertor but works plugged into the mains power. Any ideas why?

Tagged:

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do other loads work with the inverter, try a resistive load if possible, incandescent lamp, the modified sine wave may have a conflict with the pump, I'm assuming it's modified sine wave after a brief search, no mention of pure sine wave, this usually means modified Can you confirm? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • allotmentman1
    Yes modified wave. The manufacturer has recommended a pure sine wave should have no problem. The modified wave ran a electric drill and a sander ok but not the pump.
  • mcgivor
    That's what I suspected, some motors are temperamental with a square waveform.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • allotmentman1
    Ive purchased a soft start 300watt pure sine wave inverter with peak power of 600watts, Hoping that will be enough to cover the start up load of my 50watt pump
  • mcgivor
    Let us know how it works out.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #7
    Would be interesting to know exactly why the pump doesn't work.  My guess - that this particular MSW waveform has a lower peak voltage.

This is a good explanation of how some MSW inverters have a hard to predict peak voltage (they vary the pulse width based on battery voltage).

https://www.homepower.com/ac-output-wave-forms

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• mcgivor
    Difficult to say without details for the pump or the inverter, the pump could be low voltage DC  using a switching transformer, which do not like square waveform of any kind, but again, just speculation.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    The reason it will not work is it uses an incompatible waveform.
  • allotmentman1
    Thanks guys for comments. Will try and see when I get it. Buying this stuff on ebay in UK all made in china and very little specification on any paperwork, so cant give you more detailed info on pump or inverter.