Newbie Question: Bypassing charge controller on Renogy Solar Panel

threplogle
threplogle Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone! New guy to the forum and to solar systems in general.  Hopefully someone on here has the knowledge to solve my issue. :) Here's my setup:  
1 Renogy 100 watt Solar Suitcase with charge controller
1 Lead Acid marine battery - used for camping
1 Goal Zero Yeti 150

Problem to solve: I would like to set up the Solar suitcase so that I can use it to charge both the marine battery and the Goal Zero.  Right now I can only charge the marine battery.  Since the Goal Zero has it's own charge controller I'm unable to charge it.  

Question:  Is there a way to setup the Solar Suitcase so that I can bypass its charge controller when charging the goal zero?  Perhaps attaching another mc4 cable as a pigtail?  I thought I'd query the experts before I screw something up? :)  

Thanks!

Tom

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Can't you use a 12v charger to charge the goal zero ? 
    Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to use extra connectors for the GZ if the panels are enough watts to charge it.
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    seems to me if you have your suitcase, and you have your battery - charged- a small inverter plugged into the 'yeti' would do the trick .. just do it in sun.. with 100 watts youre going to be limited in how much you can move but im sure the battery has enough capacity to charge the yeti, but keep a meter and an eye on its discharge level the first time till you see how things go  .. as long as your battery is fully charged and your panels are in sun though i dont think you'll have a problem ...
  • mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Goal Zero: "Recharge by: AC, 12V, Solar". Plug it into a 12 V outlet.
  • Solray
    mike_s said:
    The OP: Problem to solve: I would like to set up the Solar suitcase so that I can use it to charge both the marine battery and the Goal Zero.

Plugging it into a 12v outlet does not solve the problem. :)
  • threplogle
    threplogle Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't think I was clear in my original post. I don't always have both batteries with me. Sometimes on shorter trips I just take my goal zero and don't have the marine battery with me. Therefore I need to be able to hook the gz battery up the renogy solar suitcase. Since both have charge controllers I'll have to bypass one of them. I figured the panels controller would be the easiest to do so.
  • Solray
    Yep.
  • mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Solray said:
    mike_s said:
    The OP: Problem to solve: I would like to set up the Solar suitcase so that I can use it to charge both the marine battery and the Goal Zero.

Plugging it into a 12v outlet does not solve the problem. :)
    It absolutely does. CC provides power to both the battery and an attached 12V outlet, into which the GZ is plugged. Simple and efficient.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't think I was clear in my original post. I don't always have both batteries with me.
    Except, the OP said he wanted to charge both, but meant that he wanted to charge either.