LG INVERTER REFRIGERATORS

Comments

• cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    morpho said:
    Question for ya cupcake:

cupcake said:
    Best off-grid fridge tip: use your excess daytime absorb energy to freeze icepacks in the freezer compartment, then set your fridge on a timer to go OFF in the evening, then come back on right at sunrise or early morning... your food WILL stay perfectly cool with the icepacks overnight...

:)

I have pondered this issue a bit and have thought about putting frozen blocks in the fridge and freezer in the evening.
    I take it you do this with success?

It is minus 19 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now. All  I need to do is put them outside on the back deck for a wee bit and I don't even have to worry about getting my freezer to do the heavy lifting to freeze them again.

I think I have project for today!

We've turned our fridge off each night every night for over 3 years... no problems... we just let the ice-packs keep the fridge cold all night long.. NO NEED to tun the fridge all night long.. none...  I live in the desert so I cant make my own natural ice packs... but if we have guests in the winter and they cook extra food, I just shove it outside in the car where it says 38-40 degrees out all night...  you guys who live in FREEZING locations have your own NATURAL freezer outside, USE IT!

Use what nature give you.. just like out here you can boil water by simply placing a black pot outside in the sun.... nature give you  more than you realize...

~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• cupcake
    Update on Lg inverter based 20 cu.  Running off 600 watt inverter for 2 weeks now using about 600 to 700 watts a day at 0 degrees freezer, 37 refrig.  This is well below energy sticker estimates.  Actual power used is about a kw a day with the inverter no load loss plus inefficiency.   If I plug this into my 3000 watt inverter which has a sleep mode I'll have a 18 watt no load loss plus inefficiency, when on  but the inverter does go into sleep mode with this frig and come out if it fine.  We've had a bad patch of cloudy weather here on the NY, MA, VT border so I've actually turned the inverter off for a few hrs when leaving the house.  Now that the deep freeze is here have started to use frozen water bottles.

What was the average/typical watt draw while the linear-compressor was running?

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• solarhills99
    solarhills99 Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    LG 20cu uses about 50 watts when running.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #35
    LG 20cu uses about 50 watts when running.
    Once it has reached the setpoint yes, it reduces consumption to maintain the setpoint , which is where the energy saving occurs. The consumption is greater getting to the setpoint but no worse than a non inverter unit, and without the inrush associated with non inverter refrigerators.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • cupcake
    50 watts running... NICE..... how does it cycle?  on off... linear... on all the time? off all the time?  what?
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mcgivor
    edited December 2016 #37
    Can't speak for LG as mine is Panasonic but suspect they are all similar, they ramp up and depending on the offset may go as high as 150W if the door has been opened, but as the setpoint nears, the compressor slows down and therefore uses less power. According to Panasonic the greatest savings are at night because the thermostats throttling range is narrow and uses a low compressor speed to maintain temperature. A regular compressor on the other hand has has only one speed so it's all or nothing, temperature rises compressor comes on at 100% instead of say 30%. So would be like driving a car accelerate to max speed and stop, accelerate to max speed and stop, would use more fuel than accelerate to max then back off and let momentum maintain speed with less energy expenditure. The link below explains the operation.
    https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.panasonic.com/my/consumer/kitchen-appliances/refrigerator/2-door/nr-bw415vn.html&ved=0ahUKEwi6zbeVkPjQAhXGNY8KHQRDA2oQFggaMAE&usg=AFQjCNE-Fb2e8RDYq-TgsJuCE-sokwVYJw
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • solarhills99
    solarhills99 Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Cycle on the LG is about 50%.  If it uses a bit more wattage to ramp up it will quickly drop to 50 watts or so.  I have not tried taxing it by throwing a bunch of goods into the freezer all at once to be frozen.
  • cupcake
    mcgivor said:
    Can't speak for LG as mine is Panasonic but suspect they are all similar, they ramp up and depending on the offset may go as high as 150W if the door has been opened, but as the setpoint nears, the compressor slows down and therefore uses less power. According to Panasonic the greatest savings are at night because the thermostats throttling range is narrow and uses a low compressor speed to maintain temperature. A regular compressor on the other hand has has only one speed so it's all or nothing, temperature rises compressor comes on at 100% instead of say 30%. So would be like driving a car accelerate to max speed and stop, accelerate to max speed and stop, would use more fuel than accelerate to max then back off and let momentum maintain speed with less energy expenditure. The link below explains the operation.
    https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.panasonic.com/my/consumer/kitchen-appliances/refrigerator/2-door/nr-bw415vn.html&ved=0ahUKEwi6zbeVkPjQAhXGNY8KHQRDA2oQFggaMAE&usg=AFQjCNE-Fb2e8RDYq-TgsJuCE-sokwVYJw

I WISH they sold that here in 'Merica.  But since this is 'Merica with 'Mericans... it's a pipe-dream... thankfully LG is offering inverter firdges to 'Mericans who 'get it'.... that Panasonic unit is NICE... and I LOVE me some Panasonic.....

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• cupcake
    Cycle on the LG is about 50%.  If it uses a bit more wattage to ramp up it will quickly drop to 50 watts or so.  I have not tried taxing it by throwing a bunch of goods into the freezer all at once to be frozen.

Does it still cycle 50% at night?  or dies it idle-down a good bit all night long?

?
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonr said:
    I tried salt water and found that it separated.  But certainly better than using plain water in the freezer.
    That's called "Freeze Distilled" ! 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #42
    Went from a Sun Frost 16cu (after 20 yrs) to a 20cu LG inverter based top freezer unit.  Sold at all the big box stores.  After a couple of days running it measures 46 watts running at regular cycle.  About a 50% duty cycle, in a 70 degree ambient temp.  So that's about 25 watts an hour or 600 watts a day!  Of course you have to figure inverter losses into your consumption.  So no noticeable surge upon startup.  This works fine off a 600 watt Samlex.  They also sell a 23cu version, that uses about 10% more according to Consumer Reports.  They have ice makers and mine is not on so I don't know the daily use with it running.

I think you've solved a problem for me. An electric fridge is in the works, but nobody seems to be able to tell me if it will run off my old Trace 1524. The only way to really find out for sure would be to buy the fridge, cart int out to its island location and then hope for the best.  After reading your post, I've ordered a 600 watt Samlex and will use this to run the fridge exclusively. The remainder of my loads can continue running from the Trace which also has a charger built in. No doubt in my mind that a 2500 watt psw inverter charger would be great, but just too much to do all at once. And the smaller 24" inverter fridge would suit our place perfectly.

Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Rossman
    Rossman Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Are there any inverter-type chest freezers?  Did some googling didn't see much  :(
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @Rossman said:
    > Are there any inverter-type chest freezers?  Did some googling didn't see much  :(

Probably not in N.A.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Please post some model numbers ,I am shopping now.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Was doing some research on how inverter compressor works. They said an original compressor cycles a lot and regulates temperatures by turning off and on to regulate temperature. So it needs a power surge every time it comes on and runs at a constant speed when it runs.   An inverter compressor ramps up slower with less power surge. An inverter  compressor  speeds up if lots of cooling is needed, or runs at lower speed if less cooling is needed. so runs at various speeds to regulate the temperature.  It does not turn off and on like a regular compressor. 

• porch13
    porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    I purchased the LG LTCS20220W through Home Depot and love it.  I haven't put the Kill-a-watt on it to see actual usage, but I don't think it consumes much.  

Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Off Grid, we are running two French Door, Bottom Freezer LG refrigertators.

Nice efficient units.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    > @solarvic said:
    > Was doing some research on how inverter compressor works. They said an original compressor cycles a lot and regulates temperatures by turning off and on to regulate temperature. So it needs a power surge every time it comes on and runs at a constant speed when it runs.   An inverter compressor ramps up slower with less power surge. An inverter  compressor  speeds up if lots of cooling is needed, or runs at lower speed if less cooling is needed. so runs at various speeds to regulate the temperature.  It does not turn off and on like a regular compressor. 

The same way the new Trane A/C systems work.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #50
    We have two new Trane High Efficiency HVAC variable speed central  air conditioning and furnace systems powered by the off grid system.

Posted before how much our storage capacity increased when they were installed.

Our networked ComfortLink XL control panels display the A/C compressors' power consumption from 0 to 100%.  Currently, they're loping along at 28% with outdoor temp 103 degrees and thermostats Set at 82 degrees.

Cool technology!

Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #51
    It is great until something goes wrong, then you need to call for service as the boards are not user serviceable. I still keep my old tech running by changing out components as they wear out, thus increasing it's life and lowering the cost of installation. Last month I put in a new fan motor, and two years ago swapped in a new starter relay. It's a high efficiency model from 1999, so it's not too bad on cost to run, my monthly bill in the valley with 118° days is $89.00 a month total thermostats at 74°.
    The new tech definitely has some good features, but also some bad, and for me the bad still outweigh the good. Perhaps someday that will change as more parts become readily available for consumers.

Cool technology....cute. :)
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #52
    porch13 said:
    I purchased the LG LTCS20220W through Home Depot and love it.  I haven't put the Kill-a-watt on it to see actual usage, but I don't think it consumes much.  

Thanks for posting a model #, so many folks talk brands and cubic feet.  That is of little help. Ordered same frig yesterday, after 34 years on gas.  Hope see you test results soon. I found this helpful your frig is on page 13 near top above a read line of text.  Cheers.  https://library.cee1.org/content/qualifying-product-lists-residential-refrigerators
  • Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    LG Inverter Fridges sure seem ideal for us off grid types and are readily available here in Canada.  Anybody have any more comments about what happens to their control electronics when inverter goes into search mode?  Confusion and cycling into defrost mode or just a nice clean wake up?.  Having to have the inverter on all the time to run a fridge that cycles 50% of the time isn't optimum so before we get one (LFD22786ST, the french door model, bottom freezer, ice maker that uses 463 kWh/yr) I'd like to hear the full story on what happens to all the fancy lights and bells and whistles when search mode shuts down most of the power supply.

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• Estragon
    I don't know, but would be interested if anyone else does. Might be worth starting a new thread?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    It seems that the LG LTCS20220W is discontinued. Home Depot says it's backordered until 10/21/18, but the manufacturer and several other sides say discontinued.  I have little faith that HD has some "inside track" on a few containers of these.  Since I am in the US, none of the sites (except MFG) list whether it's an inverter/linear type or not. This makes it very difficult to find one. Grr.  I have to resort to brute force searching on MFG sites to see if they list the compressor type since I can't filter for it anywhere and Google isn't giving me much love.

I am looking for an inverter fridge <$1000USD 18+CuFt.  With included or optional ice maker.  Water and ice in the door would be a nice plus, but I haven't found any refrigerator with that feature in the <$1k range. 

Ideas?
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    > @2twisty said:
    > Found a couple, but this is likely what I will be getting since it has the features I want, too.
    >
    > https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/refrigerators/side-by-side/25-cu-ft-capacity-side-by-side-refrigerator-with-led-lighting-stainless-steel-rs25j500dsr-aa/

I'm looking on a phone and I can't find it. Is that an inverter fridge?
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Costco today, and they had several models of LG fridges with inverter on the front nameplate, but annual kwh was high, in the 700's  !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mike95490 said:
    I was in Costco today, and they had several models of LG fridges with inverter on the front nameplate, but annual kwh was high, in the 700's  !!
    Ironically, in North America, inverter compressors seem to be only available on the higher end more expensive refrigerators, those who purchase them probably don't care about consumption, elsewhere in the world they span a wide range of sizes and have been around a long time, especially where energy cost are 3 times higher.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I guess here in the US if Ur looking for low consumption for solar etc. That annual Kwh number is probably more important than an inverter compressor but lots of bells and whistles
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • Estragon
    Assuming I could save ~30w running an inverter type fridge off a 300w inverter instead of the big inverters for 12hrs/day, I'd save ~130kwh/yr. Fairly significant in the context of typical 500ish kwh/yr fridge, and more so given that the savings would be all night-time consumption.

I recently saw one advertised at ~$1,100CAD, 22 cu.ft. bottom freezer, fairly basic but with icemaker, IIRC rated for ~600kwh/yr. With icemaker turned off, maybe closer to 500kwh/tr?
    Off-grid.