Step by Step Solar DIY Course for Beginners

KimroyBailey
KimroyBailey Registered Users Posts: 3
Hey Everyone, 
Does anyone know about any solar DIY online course for beginners that they would recommend?
Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Here is a post with a lot of solar/power books/links:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/99323#Comment_99323

Otherwise, you can also just discribe what your power needs are, roughly where the system will be installed, any limitations/questions you may have, and we can walk through "your design".

Many times, it is easier to learn/understand if you design your own system (with help). Vs trying to learn "everything" about solar. There are different answers for different size/needs systems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    U tubes and webinars from Outback Power Systems and Schneider Electric Solar. AEEE, Soligent, and 
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AltEStore

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• KimroyBailey
    Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for the reference link. I particularly like the recommended textbook from Rick to the hardcover book on Amazon. I was also interested in the book you posted about your host's publication but the link in that particular post went to a 404 page. The link Name is Book - The New Solar Electric Home. 

For your convenience this is the link - https://www.solar-electric.com/bonewsoelho.html  Is there any other link where I could access that publication.

Thanks for your assistance.

Kimroy Bailey 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From Rick at NAWS:

Hey Bill,

Yes, that's a book that we used to sell. We stopped carrying it 2 or 3
    years ago. The book was never updated since its last edition in 2008,
    so I don't think I'd recommend it at this point. But if someone on the
    forum is interested, the book is still available on Amazon. It was a
    good book for the time it was published. Lots of good info. But we
    don't recommend books anymore, and I'd be willing to bet that there
    are some better and newer books available now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0937948179/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_vTbszb9374AMM

Rick
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • KimroyBailey
    Bill, Dave;

Thanks much. Just to introduce myself, I do solar system installations in Jamaica.

Dave YouTube is great when you know, what you don't know. When you know what you don't know you have an idea of what keywords to use, what to search for, correct search terms, find the ideal blog post etc etc. But when you don't know the things that you need to know to that's when searching around the internet can get a little overwhelming for a newcomer. 

Do you think solar newbies would be open to an online solar course that covers all the basics and give them the tools to get things started instead of bouncing around the web, hoping for the ideal post. Thank God for Great forums like Solar Electric and moderators who give of their time to help the DIYers. What do you think guys.

I created a solar course for a brick-and-mortar (offline) summer camp for high school students. I posted some of the content online via videos and I am just doing some research to see if solar newbies may be interested. Any thoughts

Thanks 

Kimroy Bailey
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    You will definitely want to use the information from books and other sources rather than have the forum walk you through 500 different installations over the next year then.
    For a couple projects (like I had) asking specific questions can be useful along with several tools and calculators you can download to your PC or phone.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave YouTube is great when you know, what you don't know. When you know what you don't know you have an idea of what keywords to use, what to search for, correct search terms, find the ideal blog post etc etc. But when you don't know the things that you need to know to that's when searching around the internet can get a little overwhelming for a newcomer. 
    Dave, did NOT say go say hunt around, he gave specific, reliable people and a link to AltE's YouTube videos.

There is a LOT of bad info out there! some much of it by sellers of solar equipment. He has lead you in a good direction. If you are just promoting your course, well, be brave and we'll be glad to judge it.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Photowit. It can be hard to help or even spend the time here when there is this level of ? 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Nature of the beast.......
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    While it's getting to be a bit dated, I really got a lot of good info from  Solar Energy Systems Design tools  and the tools there are still good ones as they show how to arrive at the numbers that you need to get things going even if the battery sizes and panel outputs show they are not up to date, you can see how to get there.

BTW, there are no bad questions, even if the answer didn't help the OP it may help someone.