Scratching my head about TS-MPPT-60 output.

Options
stranger
stranger Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
Hardware:
(1) Canadian Solar CSP-220P (Pmp=220W, Vmp=29.1V, Imp=7.56A)
(1) ET Solar ET-P672260 (Pmp=260W, Vmp=34.8V, Imp=7.47A)
Panels wired in parallel.
(1) TS-MPPT-60
(1) TS-M-2
(2) Deka GC-15, wired for 12V, 230Ah (4 years old and abused)

Location: Near Show Low, AZ; altitude, 5800ft; temperature today, about -4 to 11°C

Howdy,

Yes, the panels are mismatched. My sister knew someone who was selling them, and when she went to pick them up for me, she insisted that I get the highest rated power, despite the mismatch, when I knew better. No big deal. They were a real bargain.

I just upgraded from a TS-45 to the TS-MPPT-60 three days ago - thanks to NAWS. This morning, I woke up to an Alarm 21, which research indicated was a failure to write to the log, due to a firmware bug. I updated the firmware to those currently available from Morningstar's website for A, B and the meter. When I then looked at today's log at approximately 11:30am, the maximum reported power was 632 W.

I haven't found the temperature coefficients for the panels, but I am familiar with the coefficients of other panels. My panels aren't oriented optimally. They're currently facing about 11° SW, and I haven't calculated the tilt angle but am guessing it's about 30°. I assume it was a glitch in transition to the updated firmware. Has anyone seen anything like this? Can this pair be producing that much power? Any other explanation?

Thanks.

Edit: proofreading glitch

Comments

• stranger
    Options
    I thought of another possibility. The PV was disconnected via the Square D QO200TR before I updated the firmware and reconnected afterward. Did throwing the switch at about 11:30am in full sun result in a surge?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That looks like a PEAK MAX power reading.   When cool, shaded panels get a bright blast of sun just as the cloud clears, they can produce an output spike.   My array which generally manages 2500W, easily trips the overcurrent alarm on cloudy days. (when the sun emerges)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stranger
    Options
    Thank you, Mike95490. Edison also taught us what can happen when DC switches are closed. Tesla fixed that for us by selling the idea of AC power distribution to the electric company.
  • mryimmers
    mryimmers Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Howdy Stranger, I was scratching my head about that reading the other day. I just installed a new TS-MPPT 60 a few days ago and was looking at that reading, the highest daily recorded value I have is over 3200 in one day( I only have 510 watts of PV), so I contacted Morningstar tech support to find out what that number meant. A tech guy called me about it, he had spoken to people in the engineering department and nobody knew what it is, he said his best honest answer was that it might been some "unfinished programming", and to just ignore those numbers. He said that they would look into it a bit further, but he thought thats what it probably was. 
     I also mentioned it a couple days ago in this thread.                 http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/351582/mppt-60-live-view-and-data-log#latest
    510 watt pv, TS-MPPT 60, Exeltech XP1100, XP600 & XP250 @ 24V, 4x Trojan 105RE, Trimetric 2030, Yamaha EF2400i gen.