Do you have your solar panels & equipment insured?

BilljustBill
BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
As I get closer to setting the ground array framework posts, I've started to wonder how much more it's going to cost me on my homeowners policy.   The 10' tall and 52' long framework array is 90 ft. from the house.  Underneath the array, it will house the batteries in one 6'x10' enclosure and the electronics in another similar enclosure about a foot away.  So, the system doesn't  structurally attach to the house or outside buildings.

What did you find out about how your homeowner's insurance is used to insure your solar equipment and panels?  How much did it raise you annual policy cost?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The panels & mounts have to be inspected & permitted, and I have a whole menu list of out buildings, solar, generators, tractor...... that's all rolled into the the quote.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have my solar insured. When I had new tractor added to my contents I told them I had solar panels also. They added them on as outbuildings. Thinking altogether the tractor and solar only added $50.00 to my yearly premium. I already had  some coverage for contents but needed a little more added. They didn,t ask for inspection reports or anything. Only requirement was with the tractor Is I can,t do work for anyone else or I would have had to get a separate policy for it. I feel that I got a good deal as the tractow was 45 horsepower and worth about $26,000.00