My new favorite energy saver

oil pan 4
oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
The in wall time off delay switch.
If you search eBay or amazon for "time off wall switch" a bunch will come up.
They usually come in 30 and 60 minute denominations.
Lowes and home Depot have these switches in the boutique lighting section, and not over with all the electrical receptacles, switches and stuff like you think they'd be.

Now the out side lights which are 125w worth of LED (about 1000w worth of incandescent replacement) never get left on.
Or my three heat lamps totaling 750 watts in the bathroom won't get left on.

The way I figure it, if it keeps the lights from being left on 85 nights and days it will pay for its self. Almost never leaving them on longer than 30 minutes that pay back will add up even faster. Or if it saves one LED flood from bring out its paid for its self.

With the bathroom heat lamps on the time switch it only has to keep them off about 221 hours for the switch to pay for its self. Not counting bulb replacement. 3 heat lamps costs about as much as the time switch.

Now I'm thinking about putting one on the receptacle going to the coffee maker so it doesn't get left on any more.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Tagged:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Yea--The lowly wall switch timer--I put one of those on my bathroom fan.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a metal thermos type coffee maker for home that only heats to make the coffee. Heating it after that to keep warm only makes it taste bad.

Good idea about the fan. I replaced one recently with an energy star one. It's really quiet, which is nice, but makes it more likely to be left on.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #4
    I have integrated Amazon Alexa into our lights and outlets. It keeps track of watts used and can be set to timers or you can use motion sensors to turn the light on and off as you pass through areas. (obviously you can just use voice commands as well)
    It can control my music, fans, sprinklers and thermostat too and I can control the house from anywhere.
    It's a great energy saver.