Geyser Heat Pumps

Hokies
Hokies Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the Geyser world of heat pumps and curious to know why all of the posts ended in 2014. Are people mostly happy with their units or have you cast it off for something better? I have water heater that is still going strong after 17 years, but wondering if this Geyser would work as well with the newer tank - should our current one not last for much longer.

I live in Central NY where central AC is a novelty and am hoping that the cool outflow could be vented to a warmer room in the house. How effective in the cooling of this unit?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    In the winter would you still want the heat pump cooling your house? The heater has to get its heat from somewhere. Fine during the summer, more questionable in the winter.

Southern climates with excess heat would have greater benefit from said product. 
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017 #3
    Hello Hokies and welcome to the forum,

I don't have a geyser heat pump, but I do have a GE Geospring heat pump water heater. I can say that it makes a difference on the electric bill. Most current heat pump water heaters have an energy efficiency of about 2.5 to 1 or better over regular electric water heaters. The Geyser has an efficiency rating of 2 to 1. If you had a fairly new tank, 1 to 5 years the Geyser might be an option. However, I would not buy this unit for a 17 year old tank.

A heat pump water heater does produce some cold air, about 4000 BTU while it is running, but I find it's cooling effects insignificant in my home. They also produce about 50 decibels of sound while running. They need to be in a fairly large room unless there is a fully open doorway out of the room. Also, the air in the room should be over 70 degrees to be more efficient. Actually the warmer the better. So, if the room where your water heater is gets cold in the winter, like a basement or a utility room, it may not be a good fit. animatt's, comment above is correct in that heat pump water heaters are better suited to the south for obvious reasons. If you do have an adequate location for the unit, I would recommend a heat pump water heater, instead of the Geyser. As far as ducting the air to a near location, I believe their are a couple of models that have that option. 

Rick       
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    I live where it is cold also about 50 miles south of lake erie in western, pa. I have a failed Geospring waterheater and bought a new rheem  electric hybrid water heater from Home Depot. The rheem is set up for venting. You could vent the cold air out of a vent like a dryer vent. You can \vent the imput to get heat from some place that has heat. I live in a pre manufactured home that has the utility room next to the kitchen and helps to cool kitchen in summer. I have a couple inverters that give heat to water heater and I plan on putting a couple charge controlers in the same room. The sound of the water heater don,t bother me as I got used to it. Thye rheem has the highest efficiency rating when I bought mine. 3.40 efficiency rating. I havn,t connected the rheem yet as I am still trying to revive the Geospring.  I have a 24 volt dc 300 watt element in my ge and do not need any ac as the dc element keeps me in all the hot water I need.  Solarvic
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    And I think it was SolarVic said a few days ago said his Geospring possibly failed (or had a software lockout) from dust build up on the coils (evaporator).

So, keep an eye on the system and make sure the air paths remain clean of dust.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset