compressed air generators

2»

Comments

• jasonb30
    jasonb30 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Very interesting. My electric company has a free weekends plan and I am exploring ways to store electricity.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    So far--The cost of storage (batteries, pumped water, compressed air, and such), seem to be, at best, about the cost of utility scale electricity at best--And at worst, several times the cost of the utility power.

Do you have things you can do with the power on weekends? For example, if you had large cistern/pond, you could pump water up to there for storage and use gravity feed (or a smaller boost pump) for water around the house/business/farm.

Weekend cooking/canning/freezing for the next week's (or months) food...

If you really want to get interesting--There is cooling/freezing water (chillers) then using the cold water for A/C load reduction during peak power times (larger office buildings have done this).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kevinjames
    kevinjames Registered Users Posts: 2
    i guess here is my thing what would happen if you pumped the air into three tank starting with the biggest to the smallest not all at the same time run them like pistons start at high pressure, inject each tank in a cycle reducing the pressure as you go regulating pressure as needed. or use water in the first place like the home made water rockets. fill the tank just before a impeller on the generator and spin it with pressurized water.
  • kevinjames
    kevinjames Registered Users Posts: 2
    i am not sure anyone would understand what i am talking about but the whole idea is to be able to regulate pressure throughout the day this would be something that would run all day and night long regulating the power output the whole day. the way you can look at it is like at the fountain show in Vegas high pressure being regulated through many tanks and then pushed into a take part filled with water till pushed out. if you can use a valve that didn't release till the right pressure is met. you could think of it like a wind turbine clutch based, reversed high speed push on an impeller with water and air. it would be like if you pumped on the clutch on a stick shift car.hoping someone gets the idea or thought behind it.
  • JohnB11
    JohnB11 Registered Users Posts: 1
     I am building bifuel adventure vehicles.As CNG becomes more readily availableyou also have an almost free companion 4,500psi air pressure.They are working on suspension based kinetic energy recovery systems too.If you have some of these carbon wrapped SCUBA or Airsoft bottles you will be able to capture and scavenge this energy.They have bladder cells and accumulators and Airsoft Howitzers.I can also use it as an offgrid home system.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The thought of the word howitzer or scuba cylinders around my offgrid home gives me the creeps. Very few people actually live offgrid. I think if you tried it you might feel the same. It is one of the nice things about being independent and  avoiding dangers of the modern world.

It also is not that hard to live offgrid in 2019 and most of the hard work to do this successfully is very mature now. 

If you read about people having trouble living offgrid here, keep in mind that there are many doing quite well at it and do not need to write about their issues.

Good ideas but.....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net