MX60 question?

Options
arcandspark
arcandspark Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
The Outback manual says not to connect PV panels in parallel. I have see postings where many others have PV panels in parallel to increase the current. I had planned on using ten Photowatt each with 95 watt, Vmp of 34 volts, Imp of 2.9 amp. I was going to use five series paired panels connected in parallel, appox. 68 Vmp 14 amps. The Outback would be set for 48 volt input and 24 volt output. Would I be better off using three series strings paralleled for appox. 100 Vmp just under 9 amps? Also what about the Outback manual warning against connecting panels in parallel. Has this been a problem with anyone??? Thaks, arcandspark

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: MX60 question?

Do you mean this note on page 10 of the manual:
    NOTE: Each MX 60 requires its own PV array. DO NOT PARALLEL MX 60 PV+ AND PV- TERMINALS TO THE INPUT OF THE MX60. This can cause problems with the MPPT and can cause an MX60 failure.
    The purpose of this note is to advise users to not connect multiple MX60 controllers in parallel to the same PV array. It's still OK to connect multiple modules (or series strings of modules) in parallel for connection to a single MX60.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • arcandspark
    arcandspark Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Crewzer, I think Neil had helped me out in the past with a question about the MPPT's. This will be my first MPPT install. The manual and all the programming will take a while for me to fully digest. I still am trying to figure how to get the most out of the MX60 for my 24 volt system. I will keep you updated on the progress. Hope to complete the system by July. Adding eight BP585 panels on a Zome tracker, 800 watt wind generator, Co-generation heat exchanger to use the wasted energy from the generator for DHW, and a drain back solar water heater system. And last plan to build a small DC generator using 200 amp alternator and water cooled low rpm engine. Thanks again for the help, Arcandspark
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A&S,

Happy to help. I know the MX60 fairly well, so come back anytime with other questions or comments. Good luck on your new project!

Best wishes for the holidays and New Year,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm still here dave and i agree that you can parallel the pvs providing you don't exceed the max ratings for the controller. 48amps input for 60amps due to nec rules. with the 70amps mod the input goes up to 56amps. the only way to achieve those currents with pv would be by paralleling so you must be misreading what they're saying.