Tristar PWM Settings w Trojan T105 and two 100 panels

Options
I have 2 Trojan T105 batteries, in series, to make a 12V system.
I have two 100w Panels (renogy) in parallel
I have the Tristar 45 PWM. I have the MSView software and the RS232 cable. Learned that knock-off cables don't work. Tripp brand is great.

My question: what are the optimal settings? As I go thru the wizard, some are obvious, some are not.

Screen1: Charge Mode
  • PWM Voltage (Absorption) = 14.82V  [I set this per battery specs which say "bulk charge" is 14.82 in a 12v System.
  • Battery Temp Comp: -030v/degc - [battery spec says .005 for every 1C, so 6 cells x .005 is .03. Sound good?]
  • Max Comp Temp= 80degC [was the default i think, and to me just means always compensate]
  • Min Comp Temp = -30 [was the default i think, and to me just means always compensate]
  • Enable Battery Service Reminder. [I currently have this off. Anyone turn it on?]
Screen2: Float Settings
  • Float Voltage = 13.5 [per Trojan, for T105 its 13.5 for Float Charge]
  • Transition to Float is: 30% - [I have no clue what an optimal setting for this would be. I left it at the default.]
  • Percentages. When it reaches the 30%, it transitions for: 0h 0m 0s [Help here... what do you suggest?]
  • Exit float when duty cycle is 100% for: 1h 0m 0s [Help here... what do you suggest?]
  • Enable low battery trip. Low volt: 12.2v [sound good????]
  • Enable low battery trip timer: 2h 0m 0s  [sound good????]
  • Enable float to cancel voltage: 11.90 v [Sound good ????]
Screen3: 
  • Enable equalize - I currently have all of this off. What do you think? Some others suggested i do this manually? Thoughts? Possible settings are:
  • Equalize Voltage: 16.2 [spec for trojan]
  • Equalize time? 1h 0m 0s [Thoughts???]
  • Auto Equalize internal: 28 days [Thoughts???]
  • equalize time: 3h 0m 0s - says used in regulation mode w noise reduction. 
  • Enable HVD - currently off. Should I turn this on?
Screen4: LED Settings
Green Only: 12.74  Green/Yellow: 12.62 Yellow Only: 12.5 Yellow/Red: 12.38 Red

Thanks in advance. The main confusion for me was Screen2, but I would appreciate help on all above.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017 #2
    Options
    The  float choices are subjective, depending on loads during charging, say for example you had a large load, you would want to pull out of float at a higher value, say 12.7V to prevent too much discharge, 11.9V is quite  low, 
    Closely monitoring the system and making adjustments to better suit the load/battery needs is the better approach, 30% for one hour is default transition to float and seems to work well, my opinions.

Following battery manufacturers suggested values is best, as you have done, best to do manual equalization and use the service reminder, EQ 1 hour seems right at 16.2v for 1 hour, only extend if not gassing or SG readings are uneven,
    HVD, your panels in parallel would never get too high but leave on, can't hurt.

Hint, get a remote meter RM2,  unless you leave your computer hooked up permanently, it gives valuable information at any time, the leds are a vague indication of battery voltage, at default settings , during charging only. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.