Did I damage my HydroVolt? very low SG readings don't make sense

2twisty
2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
Hey, it seems that the last time I used my Hydrovolt, I didn't rinse it.  Oops.

There were some dark colored spots in the clear tube, which actually looks more like bacterial growth (in acid?).

My backup hydrometer recently broke, so I can't take comparative measurements at the moment.  I'll have to wait until my next trip to town to pick up a replacement.

Anyway, my question is this:  I'm getting SG readings BELOW 1.2 on batteries that have just been equalized.  Voltages look reasonable, but don't match up with the SG readings I'm seeing.

I've checked several batteries in my bank and I'm getting similar SG readings from them all.  This suggests that perhaps the Hydrovolt is misreading the value, since my batteries seem to be OK, given their age.

Did I damage my Hydrovolt?  Is there anything that can be done?  I'll know more when I can get to town and buy another float type unit. Just want to know if you think there is any hope for the Hydrovolt......

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bacteria in acid? Think about what lives in your gut ;-) Could just be residue left from evaporated water though.

I would try to flush and shake lots, first with a solution of water and baking soda, then with lots of plain water, and lastly with distilled water. All with protective gear, of course.

Even if you can get the crud flushed out, a backup couldn't hurt.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll know tomorrow.  I'm going into town and will pick up another one of those hyper-fragile bulb type units from OReilly.  They break soooooo easily!