Trouble with well cover

HumMichael
HumMichael Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
I have a 40ft deep well and in my attempt to inspect it I tried to remove 4 bolts that holds the well sanitary cover.
I sprayed the bolts with PB blast and waited a while to turn them but they were extremely difficult to loosen and ended up using breaker bars.

There were welded nuts on the bottom side of the two piece cover as two of them feels like fell off.

Since I don't know much about well, does the cover hold anything? , as I see a poly rope that probably is for safety.
I obviously want to replace the cover to keep critters out, perhaps will change plastic kind.

Thanks

Sincerely

Michael

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    poly rope is needed to remove the pump.. and it sounds like you have a pitless adapter if the poly pipe doesn't come out the well head... you may have to retrieve your pump and check that all is well down the hole. ie no buildup of deposits like iron and/or black sludge (magnesium?)   adapter lets you connect about 6 - 8 feet down below the frost line..hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • HumMichael
    poly rope is needed to remove the pump.. and it sounds like you have a pitless adapter if the poly pipe doesn't come out the well head... you may have to retrieve your pump and check that all is well down the hole. ie no buildup of deposits like iron and/or black sludge (magnesium?)   adapter lets you connect about 6 - 8 feet down below the frost line..hth
    Thanks
    I have a galvanized pipe that comes out through middle of the cover.
    It's in a well house.
    The pump was changed just two years ago and I have a good flow.

I am assuming that the pipe holds all the weight of the pump and 40feet of pipe?

Thanks
    Sincerely

Michael
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you got a pic or two, of the setup?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • HumMichael
    Have you got a pic or two, of the setup?
    I will upload tomorrow.
    Thanks
    Sincerely
    Michael
  • cow_rancher
    cow_rancher Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭✭
    What did you think you were going to inspect?  If a well is working, then it is doing what it is supposed to do, If you have a steel drop pipe, the next time you have to replace the pump you can use 150 or 200 psi Poly pipe, and at 40 feet you don't need a rope to pull the pump, in fact many pump men will avoid using them because if they fall down to the pump level it is a real problem to pull the pump.

The well cover is 2 split halves of steel plate with a rubber spacer in between, when you tighten the bolts down (4) you squeeze the rubber to make the seal.  If you un-thread the bolts too far, the nuts and perhaps the bottom plates will fall down the well.

Rancher
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    > If you un-thread the bolts too far, the nuts and perhaps the bottom plates will fall down the well.

I can confirm that this is true :-)

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development