Caribbean locations with reasonable property taxes and crime rates?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
What country, within 1500 miles or so, has low to reasonable property taxes? I can't afford to be an American anymore. Last year seen ~$7000 in property taxes so I sold several lots and my cabin. This year? Over $8000 in spite of the sales. Not going to happen. The county is bat shit insane.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Understand the dilemma wanted to quit working at 55, don't like the term retire, but couldn't afford to live in Canada on a reduced pension, property taxes were brutal so was property value, so I moved. Property tax here is $6 per annum for 15 acres of rural land and overall cost of living is 30% of Canada, but way more than 1000 miles.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    mcgivor said:
    Understand the dilemma wanted to quit working at 55, don't like the term retire, but couldn't afford to live in Canada on a reduced pension, property taxes were brutal so was property value, so I moved. Property tax here is $6 per annum for 15 acres of rural land and overall cost of living is 30% of Canada, but way more than 1000 miles.
    Where is that? 70% off is a pretty steep discount.

If this place is worth as much as the county thinks it is, I have a lot more flexibility than I thought.

I don't even have indoor running water and they want about $2500/year. They rarely even plow the road after it snows. Made my decision to move quite easy indeed.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #4
    None Political Statement....   Your ________ is Broke,Busted Flat!  It started before 2008
    filll in the blank as you like... Country, state , province, county, city, village....etc
    Wait till you try to get YOUR money out of the bank... Oh, we don't have that much cash...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    edited February 2017 #5
    None Political Statement....   Your ________ is Broke,Busted Flat!  It started before 2008
    filll in the blank as you like... Country, state , province, county, city, village....etc
    Wait till you try to get YOUR money out of the bank... Oh, we don't have that much cash...
    You are preaching to the choir westbranch. I've been sounding the alarms for well over a decade. I went off the grid into a very remote location. Only to be followed by unemployed, pot growing aficionados and batshit crazy property taxes.

Our policies went from tax and spend to spend and spend.

It is nigh time to abandon this ship. I am tired of fighting governmental institutions every time I turn around....and all of the time. Our government dines on its populace.

I  am studying the feasibility of getting a smallish cargo ship. There is always a demand for moving stuff.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Live on a sailboat off Central America and Mexico. We sailed alot with a few Mormon families that lived on less than $500 per month.
    They did not buy any alcohol and we could never quite do that ;)  Our taxes for a 1,800 foot home are $1,700 in the land of fruits and nuts.

I think it is worth it for the weather. Well, not so good this year. Closing in on 80 inches of rain this season.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Live on a sailboat off Central America and Mexico. We sailed alot with a few Mormon families that lived on less than $500 per month.
    They did not buy any alcohol and we could never quite do that ;)  Our taxes for a 1,800 foot home are $1,700 in the land of fruits and nuts.

I think it is worth it for the weather. Well, not so good this year. Closing in on 80 inches of rain this season.
    80" this season? Jeepers! Guess the Great California Drought is Over!

Sounds like your gov should have spent the dam money on the dam instead of courting the vote of the undocumented. That is what the internet seems to think.......

Can I have dogs on a sailboat? I enjoy my buddies and they watch my stuff too.

What was a heathen like you doing with Mormons?    j/k!
  • Dave Angelini
    edited February 2017 #8
    The government here does not care about dams. They would rather desalinate water that they drained into the ocean. :'(
    Farmers/Ranchers do nothing and it can all be found at the grocery store. 

I try not to think about the negative too often and actually am quite bullish on America and even California.

We spent time with Mormons, Families, French people, Canadians who were the toughest sailors in the world, and alot of firemen on disability. Basically anyone who was prepared enough to get a boat that far. Yes they had dogs but mostly cats. Very rewarding years and I recommend it!
     I always tell young people buy a handheld Marine VHF and get to a destination where cruising boat gather waiting for hurricane season to end. Panama, Peurto Vallarta, the Eastern Caribbean and so on. Get on a  boat and see the world!

• softdown
    edited February 2017 #9
    The government here does not care about dams. They would rather desalinate water that they drained into the ocean. :'(
    Farmers/Ranchers do nothing and it can all be found at the grocery store. 

I try not to think about the negative too often and actually am quite bullish on America and even California.

We spent time with Mormons, Families, French people, Canadians who were the toughest sailors in the world, and alot of firemen on disability. Basically anyone who was prepared enough to get a boat that far. Yes they had dogs but mostly cats. Very rewarding years and I recommend it!
     I always tell young people buy a handheld Marine VHF and get to a destination where cruising boat gather waiting for hurricane season to end. Panama, Peurto Vallarta, the Eastern Caribbean and so on. Get on a  boat and see the world!
    Seven years ago I wanted to live on a boat and sail around the Caribbean. That was before building this place. What stopped me from the boating life? I was told that I couldn't get within, was it 10 miles?, of countries with dogs on my boat.

Seems like the perpetual rocking could get a wee bit obnoxious? Perhaps one adapts, or hopes to, without undue process.

What size sailboat would you get....that is practical? What kind of funds are needed? How is that for dumb questions?

Are there financial opportunities for sailboat owners? Other than running drugs......

EDIT: The sale of my Denver home "should yield" over 150K. Probably have to sell this place and buy a place with a barn. That should also net some funds. The Florida rentals should also contribute income most years....though the yields have been a continual source of disappointment.

Thanks for any help....
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #10
    Life is all about planning, there are so many options, where it is you want to be, is it financially viable, what is the political situation where you think you want to reside, what you expect, what you are willing to sacrifice and what are your expectations. Generally countries don't  accommodate to the expectations of a foreigner, you have to live by their rules, it's all a tradeoff, I chose Thailand, after considering Central America, spent 8 years in Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico, El Salvador and even Cuba, but one visit to Asia, Thailand,  made me realize here is where I want to be, because my native Zimbabwe is far too screwed up to return to, the winters in Canada were not to my liking, there was also the taxes and taxes on taxes. So there is your answer, for post #3.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    mcgivor said:
    Life is all about planning, there are so many options, where it is you want to be, is it financially viable, what is the political situation where you think you want to reside, what you expect, what you are willing to sacrifice and what are your expectations. Generally countries don't  accommodate to the expectations of a foreigner, you have to live by their rules, it's all a tradeoff, I chose Thailand, after considering Central America, spent 8 years in Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico, El Salvador and even Cuba, but one visit to Asia, Thailand,  made me realize here is where I want to be, because my native Zimbabwe is far too screwed up to return to, the winters in Canada were not to my liking, there was also the taxes and taxes on taxes. So there is your answer, for post #3.
    Zimbabwe seems to have a plethora of problems. For example, we are still ahead of Zimbabwe in freedom of the press.

It is a tragedy that Africa suffers so many ecopolitical problems. The most amazing continent on the planet in so many ways......yet seemingly riff with very serious problems.

Central America seems to have a lot of corruption.

People scare me. People are scary. With a boat, one has the freedom to find "a better neighborhood". A neighborhood with less scary neighbors.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    A co-worker and his wife retired to a sailboat (a few decades ago)--And after less than a year of cruising, they were attacked and killed by pirates somewhere around Southeast Asia...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    edited February 2017 #13
    BB. said:
    A co-worker and his wife retired to a sailboat (a few decades ago)--And after less than a year of cruising, they were attacked and killed by pirates somewhere around Southeast Asia...

-Bill
    Keep your dreams intact. keep your dreams to yourself?

Think maybe I have heard that is a known pirate hangout. I may get killed by Pirates of the Caribbean. I think maybe I could take a couple with me. Never mind why...

Edit: Did they have a nice looking boat? I've seen a lot of people literally lose their minds from jealousy. I'm thinking an older, largish boat painted in drab colors... Sail under the radar of pirates/government.
  • Dave Angelini
    My advice if you are really serious about this is go on a vacation and charter a bareboat sailboat. Tortola in the British Virgin Islands is an easy choice. You will need a skipper since you do not know how to sail.

Or, take sailing lessons on a lake near you.  Look at the magazine Cruising World.

Most criminals out there do not want a sailboat as they are too slow to be useful.

I do not think this is a good idea (yours) to do this unless you really want to be a sailor for the right reasons. (love being a sailor).

Good Luck!

• softdown
    My advice if you are really serious about this is go on a vacation and charter a bareboat sailboat. Tortola in the British Virgin Islands is an easy choice. You will need a skipper since you do not know how to sail.

Or, take sailing lessons on a lake near you.  Look at the magazine Cruising World.

Most criminals out there do not want a sailboat as they are too slow to be useful.

I do not think this is a good idea (yours) to do this unless you really want to be a sailor for the right reasons. (love being a sailor).

Good Luck!
    Had a small sailboat as a kid. A sailboard as an adult. Loved sailing but then I loved about every adventure I tried.

Colorado is not a great sailboat state...at all. That is why I don't currently have a sailboat.

Trying to find the liveaboard forum that I hung out on....

I am also a master scuba diver with loads of scuba equipment.

Chartering a sailboat in the BVI? Sure.....spent a couple weeks in the BVI on a large sailboat. Almost rammed a sand bar while piloting the ship. Never said I was a Captain.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the sandbar around Anagada by any chance? Most charter companies say you can't go there because of the skinny water.

My favorite is Nevis. Pretty quiet and very little crime.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    The sandbars are a challenge but the coral reefs there, and being able to see them are often the end of the cruise.

There is an old story from the Moorings yacht charter of a guy calling in from Anagada asking for a ride back to Virgin Gorda because "the boat is used up"

If you stay most anywhere in the Caribbean long enough, crime will catch you because of the social-economics.
    Well, not the high-end places that have their own security.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the petty crime is pretty much everywhere. IIRC a boat with a bunch of refugees, Haitians I think, hit BVI coral while we were there. It didn't end well.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    Yeah, the petty crime is pretty much everywhere. IIRC a boat with a bunch of refugees, Haitians I think, hit BVI coral while we were there. It didn't end well.
    I'm not sure what "hitting BVI coral" means?
  • softdown
    edited February 2017 #20
    The sandbars are a challenge but the coral reefs there, and being able to see them are often the end of the cruise.

There is an old story from the Moorings yacht charter of a guy calling in from Anagada asking for a ride back to Virgin Gorda because "the boat is used up"

If you stay most anywhere in the Caribbean long enough, crime will catch you because of the social-economics.
    Well, not the high-end places that have their own security.
    I do not know the name where the sand bar challenge was. Perhaps it wasn't even a sandbar. I was sailing in between a couple islands and failed to realize where the deep water and the shallow water was. The Captain showed up in the nick of time and was really throwing the wheel around. He seemed nervous....then relieved.

At any rate, I need to take my time on this endeavor. Likely a couple years. Making major moves hastily is rarely wise. I can start my tax protest in May according to the tax assessors office. Hopefully they just added a zero though I suspect greed and incompetence. I tend to doubt that young girls are highly qualified to assess property taxes.

I can watch youtube, read books, scheme, plot, and learn.

Avoiding crime is priority #1. Dogs help along with security systems. Though I find security systems are a bit of a hassle. What type of boat tends to deter crime? I was thinking of painting it pink. No self respecting criminal wants a pink boat. To easy to identify for one thing.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    British Virgin Islands and coral reefs?:

http://www.reefresilience.org/case-studies/british-virgin-islands-mpa-design/

The British Virgin Islands (BVI) are located 100km east of Puerto Rico in the northeastern Caribbean and are part of the Leeward Islands, which stretch from the BVI to Antigua. Composed of over 60 islands and cays, the BVI represent a total land area of 153.67km² (59 square miles). Every island in the BVI is surrounded by coral reefs of varying size, health and composition. The Anegada Horseshoe Reef is the third largest continuous reef in the Eastern Caribbean at 63km long, containing both patch reefs and barrier reefs. There are 63 popular dive sites in the BVI, which include 57 coral reef sites and 6 artificial reefs that have been created by shipwrecks. Tourism accounts for about 45% of the national income.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    The best "boat" that tends to deter crime is either US navy or Coast Guard. I suppose a ship with a 30 foot freeboard is safe if you have a clear shot. That brings up weapons. One of the most dangerous things can be to have a weapon as they will lock you up for years for a trail. Need to hide that well and be prepared to pay mordida as they will find it.
    One of the great shipwrecks in BVI Bill is the US mail ship Rhone. I had to do an emergency accent because my buddy was having trouble. I hardly embolized and as you know Bill I am the same......

• softdown
    The best "boat" that tends to deter crime is either US navy or Coast Guard. I suppose a ship with a 30 foot freeboard is safe if you have a clear shot. That brings up weapons. One of the most dangerous things can be to have a weapon as they will lock you up for years for a trail. Need to hide that well and be prepared to pay mordida as they will find it.
    One of the great shipwrecks in BVI Bill is the US mail ship Rhone. I had to do an emergency accent because my buddy was having trouble. I hardly embolized and as you know Bill I am the same......
    You may have said some of this tongue in cheek. I am serious enough about crime to get a US Navy or Coast Guard boat. Is that even feasible? It sure would be sturdy.

30' freeboard? I may be able to swing 50' length...depends on so much. I certainly can't afford to operate a gigantic fuel guzzler.
  • westbranch
    Dave I do believe that was a British ship " RMS Rhone was a UK Royal Mail Ship"  still a nice! dive site though and you don't notice that you descend ever so slowly into that deep water.. reading Wiki it was also deemed 'unsinkable'...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • softdown
    edited February 2017 #25
    Huh....seemed pretty shallow when I dove it. Very famous dive artifact.
  • westbranch
    IIRC it gets down to ~95 ft +- at the deepest but if you head out into the open waters it drops off  .... fast

• softdown
    Looks like a catamaran may be the best solution for me. I like being upright and having headroom.

They are packing a lot of fancy electronics into modern boats. I would guarantee major expenses in 5-15 years. I prefer sturdy and simple.....affordable maintenance. An older, simpler boat it will be.

The annual haul out with paint etc is a major boating expense. Good way to avoid or lower that expense?

No guns allowed? That is understandable considering the damage that an unstable person could do. It also facilitated the victim hood of BBs cruising friends. Always a downside.
  • Dave Angelini
    Yes British mailship, sagging memory.  :)  but I remember the deep part.  British and US Virgins. Too many tourists so we headed back to the windward islands and closer to the safe zone below 10 latitude.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might enjoy reading the Heart Akerson Story, I'll see if I can find some info...He developed one of the first reliable inverters since he couldn't find one for his boat, ended up selling the company and going sailing (long ago) then go bored (?) and started developing a Transverter, in his adopted country Costa Rica, hiring people out of the states. Not sure how this has is coming along, but very intriguing.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited February 2017 #30
    They were junk in my opinion and easily replaced with Trace electronics. I bet you can't find one that is still working. Many died after a few months. We spent alot of time in Costa Rica and he must have left because few had heard of him that we met. The most common thing people would carry into an airport besides a suitcase was a Heart inverter.... Sorry but sometimes the legend does die.

To be fair, they were one of the first and if you wanted a microwave oven on your boat at that time they were about all there was.
    Most boats (that were cruising) had and still do mostly DC devices to avoid needing AC power

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Here in AZ the property taxes are pretty reasonable, they do tax you on your car registration but it is based on value, old cars are cheap to pay taxes on.  I have a $150K property in Surprise and the taxes are only about $400 twice a year. Sales tax is one of the larger items on the tax list here but out side a metro area I think it is only like 4.5%.  Crime is pretty reasonable in Maricopa county but there are tons of illegals, up side lots of cheap labor if paid for in cash.  Off grid is all over in Northern AZ and I bet the taxes are pretty cheap as well.