Looking for one charge controller, AC for generator and DC for solar...

Options
GRWeldon
GRWeldon Registered Users Posts: 4
Howdy all. First post in this forum.

The situation is this... I have enough $$ at the moment to buy a proper battery bank (sixteen Trojan T105-RE at ~250 AH each) at 1000 AH capacity. I have a 10KW generator. What I don't have at the moment is the $$ for a PV array. I am still connected to the grid and probably won't disconnect completely.

I was looking at purchasing the Outback FX3048T inverter/charger but it does not appear from anything I can find (including the manual) that it supports charging from a PV array, only an AC source such as grid power or a generator. It appears that this inverter/charger is intended for backup power should the grid go down.

As I posed in the original question, is there a charge controller that will accept DC current from a PV array AND AC current from a generator. I don't really care if it has an inverter as part of the package, I can always buy a separate inverter. Having one unit that does it all would be nice but not necessary. I just can't seem to find the type of device I am looking for.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Looking for one charge controller, AC for generator and DC for solar...

Welcome to the forum,
    GRWeldon wrote: »
    (sixteen Trojan T105-RE at ~250 AH each) at 1000 AH capacity.
    <snip>
    I was looking at purchasing the Outback FX3048T inverter/charger

If you configure 16 of those T105-RE at 48 volts, you will have a 500 ah battery bank.
    GRWeldon wrote: »
    is there a charge controller that will accept DC current from a PV array AND AC current from a generator. I don't really care if it has an inverter as part of the package, I can always buy a separate inverter.

There are a few all-in-one solar controller, inverter-charger packages. They are, for the most part, junk. Don't do it. If you want a well designed integrated package (with your choice of solar controller and inverter/charger) look into the Midnite solar E-panel packages.

Since you intend to start out without solar, you could start out with the inverter/charger and add the solar controller when you add the panels.

Why do you want a system anyway?.... you are on the grid and a hybrid (battery AND grid-tie) system would probably make more sense. Please don't buy those batteries until you do further research.... depending on your loads they may or may not be appropriate.

In order to design a system properly you must know your needs (your needs = your loads). After you determine your loads, the next step is to choose your battery. The next step is to buy whatever equipment you need to charge the batteries.

One more thing... if you buy your panels at the same time as your other equipment you can get a federal tax credit on the entire system (batteries, cables, conduit, electronics, panels, mounts, labor, etc). If you buy the panels in the future you get the credit on only the panels.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Looking for one charge controller, AC for generator and DC for solar...

Everything VTmaps posted is spot on.
    I was looking at purchasing the Outback FX3048T inverter/charger

If I was choosing a Inverter / Charger the GTFX3048 is a much better fit for you, now and into the future. It gives you some options to become " Grid Interactive " and the other one doesn't and has Generator Support. The bargain you get with a Inverter / Charger is the Charger and it's controller. A quality stand alone charger will cost as much as combination does. The combination unit is integrated too work with the same inputs and outputs. It gives you maximum use of what you generate. 35 amps of DC @ 48 V is a heck of a charger.
  • GRWeldon
    GRWeldon Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow, I forgot I posted this so many years ago.  I DID NOT proceed with buying the batteries as advised.  I decided to go with a 24V system.  I have a Midnight Solar Classic 150 CC, (3) 750W panels in series and (2) 228AH batteries wires in series.  I plan to expand this year.  I just bought the batteries days ago.  A very belated "Thank You" to those who responded!