Did the lithium battery in my 2011 FLIR i7 just completely die?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Bought this used in excellent shape. I was pretty happy with it for the first two weeks. Yesterday it no longer turned on. I have tried charging it via both the USB plug and the "normal" plug. I can't even get a computer to recognize that it is connected now....tried three different computers. It seems to be completely dead except that the on/off button flashes a couple times when pressed for a couple seconds.

The battery is a standard 3.7 volt 2200 mAh,,,possibly made in 1010. It says Varta Microbattery GmbH. It is hard wired in. It wasn't made to be easily replaced though I think I could do it with some luck. The FLIR was made in August 2011.

Trying this board because there is a good chance it is a battery issue. Plus a couple of you may use a FLIR for various reasons.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a flir i7 also and have not had it do that. I too would suspect the battery first.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like replacements are available and pretty basic. perhaps yours is an earlier model?

https://youtu.be/UheeoeTM4lE
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    What happened while it sat for 1/2 day? I guess there is a possibility that I failed to turn it off? One would think a $2000 unit would have a fail safe against destruction from leaving it on?

The battery is a 2011 at the newest. It is also quite likely that the "1010" means that it was made in 2010. Perhaps a replacement battery?

Thinking the logical choice is a simple battery replacement for less than $20. While I have a few of these batteries, it would require soldering which would likely make both the manufacturer and the seller "freak out".
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Best bet is to try replacing the lithium battery for less than $20. What are the odds of a sudden, catastrophic battery failure?

Bought on Ebay...sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. The seller is communicating. I'm sure he is also puzzled and wondering what I may have done. As I wonder about the units history. Perhaps the unit lost its ability to charge the battery? So the unit lasted until the battery lost its charge?

The unit looks new and was not dropped. Bit strange.
  • softdown
    Been playing with it for a bit now. The charger seems to put out 5.25 volts. The battery says it is 3.7 volts at 2200 mAh.

The charging posts on the Flir i7 read 5.1 volts. Everything seems fine. Yet I am unable to charge this newly ordered battery even the tiniest bit.

Right now....I am suspecting a defective battery that will not take a charge. How probable is that?

I paid $15 for the battery...seemed about right for a lithium battery slightly larger than a AA battery. It arrived in a low state of charge.